Aug 25, 2018

Work permit and Stay Back Options after Study in Italy

Rate us
4.5 out of 5.0 (10 votes)

Last Updated: 04/03/2019

Students who want to Study in Europe often think about UK, Germany or France, but Study in Italy can be as beneficial in the long run, too. Many top Universities in Italy offer programs to study in Italy for international students. Here is all the information you will need if you want to work and study in Italy. There are full-length masters programs. After that, you can apply for the Work Permit after study in Italy. Here is the step-by-step guide on study permit, work and study permit, how to work after you have completed your studies from colleges in Italy.

Study Permit in Italy:

Students from EU/EEA:
Students from European Union need no special permit apart from passport if they want to study in an Italian University.

Non-EU/EEA students:
Students who are not from European Union will have to apply for a specific study permit if they want to study in Italy and pursue their higher education.

There are two types of Students visa in Italy:

1. Italy Type-C visa: Shorter Periods
The students who want to take a shorter program or a language course that is no more than 90 days acquire this type of visa. Students who are taking on student exchange programs, or language classes opt for the Type C Visa in Italy.


2. Italy Type-D visa: Longer Periods
For proper degree course, which have 20 academic hours per week, or 80 hours a month will require this type of Student visa for Italy.

The visa processing time for Italy is normally 1-3 weeks. A visa interview is taken three months before your arrival at Italy. Therefore, you must apply for student visa before at least 3 months.

Italy Student Visa Work Permit:

Students from EU/EEA do not require a specific work permit to work in Italy, however, they cannot work for more than 20 hours a week during the academic session. The non-EU students will require international student work permit for working while studying, and the allowed working hours are same for them. 

In Italy, international students will get the part-time or internship jobs, and they pay around 500 euros. Keep in mind that if your program is less than 3 months, then you are not eligible for work permit in Italy.

Stay Back Option in Italy after Masters
The Stay back in Italy is only permissible if you have completed a PhD or level 2 Masters Program in Italy. The stay back in italy after masters is known as “Permesso di Soggiorno” , literally translated Residence Permit. Based on the course and university, the stay back is allowed for up to 6 to 12 months. If a student is not able to find a job in that period, he or she has to head back to their country of origin. So it is only possible to stay back in Italy after Masters and PhD.

Work Permit After Study in Italy:

For EU students, there will be a requirement of the residence permit, and specific work permit after study in Italy will not be required. They can extend the residential permit as long as they are working in Italy.

The Non EU students require a work permit after study in Italy, and a student residence permit. Only PhD students are second degree Masters can apply for temporary residence permit once the program is over. It is important to have a job after their extension period ends in 6 to 12 months. Students can also apply for internships upto 12 months.

For Work Permit after Study in Italy, non-EU students will require a “permesso di lavoro”. The average pay in Italy can be around 1300 euro for 14 month, basis on the academics and the experience you possess. It is always advisable to have a basic understanding of Italian and English language.


Read Also:-

Share this

Leave a Reply

Post a comment

You might also like

Apply for Best Program