Last Updated 29/01/2019
USA is one of the immigration friendly countries that offer great stay back options for its international students. If you are intending to study in USA then immigration must be on your mind. It is true that most countries have strict rules with respect to stay back and do not allow their students to stay back after they complete their education. However, USA is one of the exceptions.
The F-1 nonimmigrant student visa enables the candidates to take up work on the campus for up to 20 hours for every week in the initial nine months. Once he finishes the course, he can opt for the below work options:
OPT: What is OPT in USA?
The OPT in USA allows students to stay back in the USA after completing their studies. For this, you need to get authorization from the USCIS and also from the international student office of the school. Under this program, the student is allowed to work for 12 months once he completes his course In USA. You are suggested to submit your application for OPT in USA nine months after you have started your study in USA. However, students need to receive the Employment Authorization Document or EAD from the USCIS to begin working under OPT in USA.
Types of OPT Extension:
Pre-Completion OPT: The OPT in USA starts before the completion of the program at an educational institute.
Post-Completion OPT: This type of OPT in USA will start once the program is completed.
How to Get OPT? Requirements of OPT in USA:
- The student must possess an F-1 visa
- The student’s employment should be related to the course he did to study in USA
- He must apply for OPT before completing all his work related to his course
- You have to complete a certificate course at University for you case to be put forward for OPT. A DSO (Designated School Official) recommends you for the OPT.
- You Need to fill Form I-20 to apply for the OPT. University will send your application to SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) to generate the form.
- The candidate must find a job in 90 days of completing the program for OPT Extension.
Post study Work Permit in USA under OPT:
The post Study Work permit in USA under OPT is for 12 months after the completion of the progra. You are allowed to stay back in USA for 1 year under the OPT.
As per new rules of OPT, the students pursuing a STEM course (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) have an extension of 24 months. You can read more about OPT extension here: New OPT Rule for STEM students in USA
Curricular Practical Training: What is CPT?
Curricular Practical Training or CPT is an employment option which is off-campus and is available only for those students who have F-1 visa. To obtain CPT, the candidate needs authorization by the institute’s International Student Help Desk and also he needs to notify the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, also known as the USCIS. The CPT employment is a paid one which helps students to earn during their stay back after they complete their study in USA.
CPT Rules for F-1 Visa:
- The student must get CPT training leading to attainment of the academic credit
- The student must have been studying in USA for at least a year and he should have a valid F-1 visa
- The student must have got a job offer in his or her field of study before he applies for CPT authorisation
Optional Practical Training Jobs in an International Organisation
International students studying in USA and having an F-1 visa can get employment in a reputed international organisation if the organisation is any one of the following options:
- Red Cross
- Organisations that are in the Official State Department list
- Asian and African Development Banks
- World Health Organisation or WHO
- World Trade Organization
- Any other internationally known organization
Here are the conditions that are needed to be fulfilled for working in an international organisation:
- The academic record of the student should be excellent
- The student must secure a job during the duration of his course
- He must have a valid F-1 visa
- He must have got a job or an internship with a reputed international organisation