Study in Canada has become one lucrative choice among international students. After completion of the course or program, you can apply for post-study work permit allowing stay back in Canada for international students. in Canada Here is all you need to know about Stay Back in Canada, along with the rules and requirements for Stay Back in Canada:
Stay Back Options in Canada after Studies
International students graduating from Universities in Canada can stay back in Canada there to take up several employment opportunities available. Work permit after masters in Canada can be taken by international students. There are different choices for stay back in Canada.
- The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program that offers you a stay back in Canada after studies with a work permit for up to 3 years depending on the course duration.
- If you want to continue your studies you can apply for visa and study in Canada after post graduation.
Stay back period in Canada after studies is a big advantage to the international students which will boost their career extremely. Work permit in Canada after post-graduation is the main attraction of many overseas students.
For example, stay back in Canada after 1 year course will be subjective to eligibility for 1-year stay back in Canada. Similarly, if you complete a 2-year full-time course or study program, stay back in Canada for up to 3 years is allowed.
To Stay Back in Canada after studies, there are two eligibility criteria one should fulfil. The student either should graduate from a college or university that is a DLI (Designated Learning Institute), or they receive the notification that they are eligible to receive a graduate degree from their respective institute. Check the options of stay back while applying work permit after study in Canada
Stay Back in Canada after PG Diploma and Bachelors:
The PG Diploma courses can be of two to three years, and the bachelors in Canada are usually four years. Stay back in Canada after a diploma will be allowed as long as the program itself. Anything longer than that will allow you to stay back in Canada for 3 years. The same stands for the Bachelor’s Degrees.
So the answer to the question as to how long can international students stay in Canada after graduation is totally depending on the duration of the course. You can also get a work permit after diploma in Canada if the program is more than 8 months. We hope you got your answer for can I stay in Canada after graduation
Stay Back in Canada after Masters:
A large number of international students choose Canada for their post graduation studies every year. There is a stay back option in Canada after masters as well. Most of the Masters programs in Canada are of One to two Years. If you apply for the course which is for one year, you will be eligible for One year stay back in Canada and for Two years Masters in Canada, the stay back would be of 3 years.
Many students apply for work permit after MBA in Canada to stay back, as there are a lot of job opportunities in Canada. In short, regardless of the degrees,stay back period in Canada after masters depend on the duration of the program you studied in there.
Canada international student work permit after graduation
A post-study work permit is one of the best facilities provided by the Canadian government to the international students because it gives an immense opportunity to gain work experience. It also helps you to apply for permanent residence if you don’t wish to move from Canada. Post graduate work visa in Canada is truly beneficial for career development.
International students who have completed their study can opt to work full-time because they still have their valid study visa. Meanwhile, they can apply for temporary citizenship in Canada with the post study work visa Canada
You can start working after graduation in Canada, as soon as you receive a work permit. As stated earlier, if you wish to opt for permanent residence in Canada, you can do so because this gives you permission to live, study and work anywhere in Canada apart from providing you with a number of social benefits. Read More: Post Graduation Work Permit in Canada for International Students
Work permit rules in Canada after study
Now there are certain rules and regulations. The discussion below might help you to get a rough idea before you delve deep into the matter and conclude on your stay back after study in Canada.
- If you have completed any course from a reputed Canadian institute with a duration of 2 years and you also have a work experience of 1 year in the any skilled position, you are eligible to apply for a permanent residence ship under a system called Canadian Experience Class.
- You can also be subjective for an eligibility to permanent residentship through another system which is known as Provincial Nominee Program.
- A point system has been introduced in the new regulation effective from November 2016. According to this system, an international student is entitled to earn 15 points if he or she completes a full time one year to two-year degree program after secondary education.
- If you complete a full-time Master’s program or if you have enrolled yourself for a doctoral fellowship, or you have completed any course program of a duration of 3 years at a post-secondary level you are eligible to earn 30 points.
Here are the Post graduate work permit Canada new rules: Canada Introduces New Measures on PGWP Eligibility for Students
Summary of Stay Back in Canada Duration:
|Duration of Course
||Duration of Stay Back in Canada
|Less Than 8 Months
||No Stay Back Allowed
|More than 8 Months & Less than 2 Years
||As Long as the Duration of the Course
|2 Years or More than 2 Years
||3 Years of Stay Back
Here we have discussed Canada stay back option for international students. Many international students take benefit of work permit in Canada after masters as it brings a lot of opportunities in their career.
Eligibility Criteria for Application for a Post-study Work Permit
Here we have mentioned the post graduation work permit Canada requirements:
- You are 18 years old
- At least studied for last eight months without a break in Canada.
- Have completed any type of full-time degree program from reputed Canadian institutes
- You have the authorization letter or document for successful completion of your degree program from the Institute. This is one of the most important requirements for post graduate work permit in Canada
- Make sure to apply for the work permit within 3 months of the completion of your study program.
- Make sure that you have a valid study visa while applying for work permit in Canada after graduation
Post graduate work permit processing time Canada
According to the Canadian government's official website, the processing time for the post study visa Canada for work is 83 to 90 days. It is important to note that this period may vary from case to case of post study work permit Canada processing time.
Work permit after studies in Quebec
The process for Quebec is the same as post graduate work permit Canada application, as mentioned above. Keep in mind to apply for a work permit within 180 days of your institution issuing your final results. If you want to stay permanently in Quebec, you need to start your preparation before your PGWP expires. You can get it from PEQ (Québec experience program), which can get you a CSQ (Certificat de sélection du Québec), qualifying you for permanent residence.
Post graduate work permit Canada college list
Not all designated learning institutions in Canada will make you eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. You need to first check out institutions which will help you to provide Canada work permit after graduation. Check here if you are eligible: Canadian college post graduate work permit
Follow properly the post graduate work permit checklist of Canada. It seems a little complicated because it is easy when you act on it. Keep in mind the post graduate work permit length and work accordingly.
1. Can I get work permit after study in Canada ?
- Yes, you can get a work visa Canada after graduation or any other diploma curse which has a duration of more than 8 months. The work visa is valid for the same duration as your study program in Canada for a maximum of 3 years.
2. How long can international students stay in Canada after graduation ?
- The international students can stay in Canada after graduation according to the study period they have spent in pursuing their courses in Canada. For example, if they have pursued 2 years program, they are eligible to stay for 2 more years in Canada. They can apply online for work permit Canada after graduation.
3. How long is the work permit after study in Canada ?
- You can get work permit duration the same as your study course duration if you pursued 16 months study in Canada, you will get a 16 month long work permit. If you studied for 3 years, you get the 3 years validity in the work permit and so on.
4. Can I stay in Canada after my work permit expires ?
- Yes, you can stay for a few more days and do the needful to stay more. You should apply in the first 90 days after it expires to restore your work visa. If you apply for it accordingly, you can stay in Canada until you get further directions, but you will not be allowed to work until your work permit is restored.
5. How to stay in Canada after study ?
- The students can stay in Canada either by continuing their studies or apply for a work permit and work in Canada after graduation, or diploma. If you have completed your diploma you can opt for a bachelors degree. If you have completed the bachelor’s degree, you can go for a masters degree. If you have completed the masters degree you can go for a PhD. The other option is to work with a work permit in Canada.
6. How to apply for work permit in Canada after study ?
- Before you apply for post graduate work permit Canada after study check your eligibility. Firstly, you will need an official letter from your institution that gives confirmation about your study program completion and an official transcript. With these documents, you can apply for a work permit in Canada after study from any part of the world.
7. How many years of work permit in Canada after 1 year study?
- For a work permit after one year study in Canada, you will be allowed to work only for 1 year and then leave the country. The duration of work permit totally depends on the duration of your study program in Canada.
8. Can I stay in Canada after my student visa expires ?
- Yes, you may stay in Canada as a temporary resident until the decision on your new permit application is made, on a condition that your visa extension application was submitted before the expiry of your legal stay. On the expiry of your study permit, you must stop any of the activities stated in the original study permit once the permit expires and receive a new permit. You can apply for a work visa after study in Canada from your home country as well if you are forced to leave the country.
9. Can I stay in Canada after Masters?
- You can stay in Canada after the masters. There are 2 options for you. First, you can continue your studies with a new visa. Second, you can apply for a work visa and work after study in Canada. You will get to stay in Canada after masters only for the duration you have spent studying there.
10. How to get PR in Canada after 1 year study ?
- In order to qualify for the PR application, the applicants must have at least 12 months of work experience in Canada, in a skilled occupation. Also, note that candidates must apply within 3 years of time after obtaining 1 year of qualifying work experience. You can apply for PR while you are on post work permit in Canada if you meet the requirements of the Canadian immigration program.
Admission Process to Visa: Study in Canada
Best Courses to Study in Canada
List of Best Universities of Engineering in Canada and admission Procedure
Intakes in Canada