Updated on- 1/12/2021
International students who are pursuing Study in Canada are eligible for a Post Graduation work permit. One of the very important reasons to study in Canada for some of them is this very permit. Based on your course, one can get a work permit in Canada from 8 months to 3 years. Looking for a Post Graduate Work Permit Application Guide? Here is all you need to know about the Post Graduation Work Permit in Canada for International Students and the application process.
How to Apply for Post Graduate Work Permit
There is a process to follow for international students in Canada to apply for PGWP. The process, fortunately is not as complex as some other countries, and the acceptance rates are very promising too. Here are the steps to follow:
- Step 1: Check whether you are eligible for the PGWP in Canada or not.
- Step 2: Get your documents ready for the application process
- Step 3: Once you are sure you are eligible for the PGWP, you should apply online for the same. You can apply for PGWP from Canada or from outside Canada.
- Step 4: Pay the fee
The process is easy, isn’t it? Let us discuss these steps in detail below:
Eligibility for Post Graduate Work Permit in Canada
You will be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) only if you have pursued your higher education from one of the designated learning institutions (DLI) and are willing to stay in Canada temporarily to work.
- Eligible Post Graduate Work Permit List of Institutions - As we mentioned, students from the institutions and universities in Canada recognized as DLI (designated learning institutes) are eligible for the PGWP. The DLIs include colleges, technical schools, universities, and CEGEP in Quebec. Any of the educational institutions that are authorized by the state to provide the degrees for tertiary education. The language course, private career courses, and self-improvement courses are not eligible for the PGWP. If you haven’t decided on the university to study in, here is the full list.
- Eligible duration for PGWP- You must have studied full-time in Canada in a program of at least 8 months. The duration you spent studying the Canadian program online from outside Canada between spring 2020 and 31st August 2022, will be included in the eligible length of a PGWP. This applies even if you have studied 2 programs.
Post Graduate Work Permit Checklist
Here is the list of documents one needs to submit following documents to Immigration. Keep in mind that this is just a general list, and one might need to submit some other supporting documents based on their situation.
Photocopies of the passport showing passport number, dates of issuance and expiry, Canadian stamp from the authorities.
- Photocopy of the current permit
- Transcript of the program you have complete
- Letter from institute or notice of graduation
- Receipt proving the payment of the fees
Application for Post Graduate Work Permit
If you are eligible you can apply for a PGWP being in Canada or from another country. You have a maximum of 180 days to apply for your PGWP after you get your final result from the university. For example degree or diploma, transcript, or official letter. If your study permit expires before you get your final marks, you have 2 options as followed:
- You can submit an application for a visitor record to continue staying in Canada longer or
- You can move out from Canada and apply for your PGWP from another country.
Once you are sure you are eligible for the PGWP, you should apply online for the same. One can apply for PGWP from Canada or overseas. The form to be filled here is IMM 1295. The details in the form will include personal details, preferred language, Passport Details, Contact information, details of work in Canada, and educational details.
Post Graduate Work Permit Fee
The only thing left to do now is pay the application fees for the post-graduation work permit in Canada. There are two types of fees to be paid by the students for the PGWP. One is Open work permit holder fees of 100 CAD, and the application fees of 155 CAD. That would bring the total fees to be paid for a Postgraduate work permit to 255 CAD.
Post Graduate Work Permit Processing Time
The Processing time of the PGWP is around 90 to 110 days. The students are required to apply within 180 days of your program's end. If 180 days have passed, students need to change their status to visitors with visitor visas and then apply for the PGWP. That should be done within 90 days however, otherwise, the candidate will have to leave Canada.
Post Graduate Work Permit Rejected
The PGWP application can be rejected in some situations such as:
- If the PGWP Application of the student who was funded by Global Affairs Canada, Government of Canada Award Program, Canada-Chile Equal opportunities scholarships, Canada-China Exchange Programs or students of a foreign university located in Canada can be rejected.
- If you have studied part-time at some point.
- If you have taken interval -in studies and did not present the facts clearly to IRCC disclosing the reason for the gap/break in studies
- Study Permit expired and out of status when applying, and did not include the $200 restoration fee and sufficient arguments to IRCC why they should approve and restore your status
- Studied at a non-eligible PGWP institution.
- Outside of the 90 day restoration period
- If there is no confirmation of the "Degree is Conferred" in your final transcript.
- Illegally worked more than 20 hours a week during studies, worked before study program started, or worked while not enrolled in the university.
How long is a post-graduation work permit valid?
The validity of a Post-graduation work permit in Canada depends on the length of your study program.
- If your study program was less than 8 months - You are not eligible for a PGWP.
- If your study program was for more than 8 months, but less than 2 years - Your PGWP is valid for up to the same length as your study program.
- If your study program was for 2 years or more - Your PGWP is valid for 3 years.
- If you have studied more than 1 program - You may obtain a PGWP which is valid for the total duration that combines the length of each program.
- If your passport expires before your PGWP - your PGWP will valid until your passport expires.
Post Graduate Work Permit Extension
The Post Graduation work permit can be extended if you have found a permanent job in Canada, or the employer has changed. The extension can be applied 30 days before the previous one expires. There is also a bridging permit for the candidates who are waiting for the permanent residency call. In short, the permit can be renewed or extended, or depending on other situations, there are other provisions to help the candidates.
You should also read the following
Part Time Jobs in Canada: Student Work Permit and Wages
Accommodation in Canada for International Students
Student Life in Canada