TOEFL Stands for Test of English as Foreign Language. As the name suggests, it is an English language test for candidates willing to prove their proficiency in the English language for studying abroad and other purposes. If you are looking for an English language test to take to prove your English language proficiency, here is all you need to know about the TOEFL Exam, and how to register for TOEFL:
|TOEFL Exam||TOEFL Exam Pattern|
|TOEFL Eligibility||TOEFL Exam Fees|
Here is the step by step guide to register for TOEFL Exam:
First one has to go to https://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/register/ and click on the “Register Online” button. The website will take you to a page like this:
Before you book for an Exam, you need to create an Account. Here, you have to create an ETS account to register for TOEFL. Here is how the first screen will look like:
The tabs show different steps of Registration process above, like Personal Information, Additional Information, Search Services, Username and Password, and Review & Submit. On each page, you will need to fill this information:
1. Personal Information: Here, you will start with information like Name, Date of Birth, Email Address, Physical Address, Phone and Other Contact Details. Click on the “Next”
2. Additional Information: This step will look like the image below. The information to fill is: Country, Native Language, Country of Citizenship
3. Search Services: If your profile matches a program or a school, the Search Services of TOEFL will send information about the Program to you. Agree to the terms of services and continue to the next step.
Next information to fill is the country of interest, level of study, age, the current level of study, intended intake to study abroad, how long have you been studying English? How long were you at an institute where courses were taught in English?
4. Username and Password: In the final step of creating an account, you need to create a Username, Password and Security Question
5. Review and Submit: The final step is to review your details and submit the information. As the screenshot below says, one cannot use the
Now that you have created an account, the next step is to book the TOEFL on a Test Date at a test centre near you. For that, first, you will have to sign in with the username and password you have just created. The Login button can be found on the last step of creating your account, or you can go to https://www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/register/, to sign in. Here is a step by step process to TOEFL Registration.
1. Sign In into your Account with Username and Password.
2. The image below shows how your TOEFL home will look like. Click on the Register / Find Test Centers and Dates to select your location and Dates.
3. In the next step, as you can see, you need to enter the closest location you want to appear for the exam and a 2 month period from which you want to choose the dates from. (The time period of two months can be changed after this step, too.
4. Once you select from available Dates, you will be shown the list of centres available and distance in the form of a list as seen below. With every test centre, you can see the link to show available exam times in the bottom right corner of the box. When you click that, you will be shown the timings available for that centre on that date. If that’s convenient for you, you need to click on the “register” button which will be there with the timings.
5. You will be asked to provide Identification proof and number. Apart from the Passport or Driving License, there are a number of proofs one can provide. However, there are some guidelines one needs to follow for ID Proofs. The Identity proof requirements depend on the country you are applying to. The ID Proof should be original, not-expired, it should show your full name and a photograph that is clearly visible. Signature is also a must needed requirements for ID.
6. Next, in one of the most important steps, candidates are allowed to choose the universities they want to send their TOEFL Scores to. Students can choose up to 4 institutions to send their scores to, as soon as they are available.
7. The last step before payment is to review your Registration. You can change Center, date, time, ID, and recipient details before confirming the TOEFL Registration.
8. Once you are done reviewing your application, you can add TOEFL Preparation materials if you want to.
9. Proceed to check out. The page will show your TOEFL Exam Details and other material packages if you have included them. You can see your subtotal to be paid in the bottom right.
10. You can pay with a Credit or Debit Card, Fund Transfer, or PayPal. Fill in the Card Details and click on “Buy”.
Once successfully applied, you will receive a notification in your email and ETS account with the exam details and test centre.
You can use these books and materials for your TOEFL exam preparation: TOEFL Preparation Books and other Materials
One can reschedule TOEFL up to 4 days to the exam date. The rescheduling fees for TOEFL are 60$ and should be paid when you are choosing the new date. Before 4 days of the exam, you will not be allowed to change the TOEFL Test Date. You can reschedule TOEFL from your ETS Account, Mobile Application, or by contacting the ETS over the call and reschedule. Keep in mind that you cannot reschedule or cancel the test via email.
You should not repeat these common mistakes done by other TOEFL test takers: Common mistakes made by TOEFL test takers
Before starting the TOEFL registration process, one should always look for the test centres available for the dates he or she wants to appear for TOEFL. The website has a separate link to check the information. Also, check if you have a valid ID basis on your location to show at the TOEFL Test Centers.
Because there are many test-takers, TOEFL advises the candidates to register at least three to four months before the desired dates. The Test date should be 2 to 3 months before the application deadline of the university.
There are a number of ways to pay fees for the TOEFL Exam. You can pay fees via Debit Card, Credit Card, fund transfer (only for American Banks) and PayPal.
While registering for the Exam, you will find a box where you can enter your closest location, and the website will show you the list of nearest Test Centers available.
You will receive an email confirmation for your TOEFL Registration. You can also print your confirmation from ETS Account online, or from the mobile application.
Yes, you can change your email address from your ETS Account.
If you pay before the 7 days of the test dates, there are no late fees. You will have to pay late fees of $40 if you pay within 7 days of the test dates. The exam will be cancelled if you do not pay before 4 days of the test dates. For more information, check: TOEFL Exam Fees
If you miss the deadline, you will have to choose another date to Register for the TOEFL.
If you have any confusion about any of the TOEFL sections, get information here:
Register here to get newsletters for the latest study abroad news & free counselling assistance.