The Duolingo English Test (DET) is an online English proficiency test designed for international students. It is fast, convenient, and affordable compared to other English language proficiency exams. Itis a modern English proficiency assessment to help the students and institutions abroad. You can take the test from your home with the help of a computer and a webcam, you need not have to make an appointment or travel to a test centre.
Duolingo English test online
Duolingo English test acceptance is increasing day by day as it is easy and convenient. Duolingo is helpful in securing admission in many international schools. Not only Duolingo English test accepted in Canada but also in the USA, China, Japan, Germany etc like Monash College in Australia, California State University in the USA, Brandon University in Canada, Schiller International University in Germany etc. Duolingo is also accepted in a number of universities in UK. Duolingo English test equivalent to IELTS or TOEFL. Here we are going to discuss Duolingo English test details by giving complete information about it.
Duolingo English test benefits
- This test is more convenient and accessible English proficiency assessment.
- Other English proficiency tests are a bit difficult to register, you need to travel to a test centre, have long and stressful testing experiences, but it is not in the case of Duolingo. It can be taken online from anywhere.
- Other English proficiency exam cost over $200 USD. The Duolingo English Test costs only $49. If you are a Indian student, Duolingo english test fee in India will be around 3605.20 Rupees.
- The Duolingo English test results are available within 2 days or 48 hours, and you can send your results to unlimited universities and colleges.
- The Duolingo English Test offers the opportunity to show your English ability through the integration of a video interview and writing sample alongside a proficiency score to the institution.
- One can take the Duolingo English Test anytime and anywhere, the only condition is that they must have the necessary technical requirements and test environment.
- Duolingo proficiency exam in English will be much easier than other English language tests.
Requirements of test Duolingo
You are eligible to take the Duolingo test if the following things are available:
- Your passport, driver's license or government ID
- A quiet, well-lit room
- 60 minutes of free time
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer
- A supported browser
- A front-facing camera
- A microphone
Duolingo English test Registration
You can take the test within 90 days starting from your original purchase date. Follow the below process for registration of Duolingo English test
- Create an account on the website of Duolingo English test by giving your age, email id and password. Then click “next”
- On the next page you will be asked a question “What are you interested in?” and you have to choose the options as given below:
- School building
- Undergraduate university admissions
- Graduate admissions (ex: MBA, PhD)
- Middle or high school admissions
- Applying for a job or promotion
- None of the above
- Choose the option you want to pursue and click on create account
- After creation, purchase the test, and do the payment.
Duolingo English test fee
The Duolingo English Test presents an entirely different approach to testing because you can take it at home from your own computer being online. There are no test centres and no appointments as the other exams have.so it is obvious that it would cost less when compared with other English proficiency exams. The Duolingo exam Fees is $49. The candidates can take the Duolingo language test test online at a convenient time. There will be no Duolingo English test fee waiver, so you have to pay the same.
Duolingo English Test Syllabus
Duolingo English test duration is less than an hour. The exam portion of the Duolingo English Test consists of two portions, They are:
- First, is the graded portion which contains a series of speaking, reading, writing, and listening exercises.
- The second portion of the exam is ungraded portion it consists of a video interview and writing sample. In each part, the candidate should be able to respond to one of two questions given offered.
The Duolingo English test format includes:
- Listening to spoken words and selecting the real ones
- Reviewing written words and selecting the real ones
- Completing missing letters from a text
- Describing an image in writing or aloud
- Recording yourself saying a written sentence
- Verbally answering a spoken question
- Responding in writing to a written question (writing samples have a maximum of 500 words but are usually much shorter)
- Typing out a statement that you hear.
- A “video interview”, in which you speak for 1-3 minutes on a topic you choose (they offer two).
Duolingo English test pattern
Duolingo English Tests are variable in length, meaning that exam time and a number of items can vary with each administration. Duolingo exam pattern is summarised in the below table:
||It is a graded section which evaluates your reading, listening, writing, and speaking skills
||It is an ungraded section which records your answers to open-ended questions.
Duolingo English Test Preparation
Some students ask Is Duolingo English test hard. The answer for it is if you prepare well then off course it is easy. The Duolingo English Test evaluates the real-world English language ability. You must prepare thoroughly to get the maximum score needed to get admission in the institution. Following steps may help you to prepare for the exam:
- Improve your overall proficiency in reading, speaking, writing, and listening to clear the exam.
- You can use the Duolingo application to help you get more proficiency.
- You can read English articles to improve your language.
- There are many Duolingo English test practice materials available online for free. Answers will also be given for you to check your proficiency. Take advantage of them and practice well.
- You should take a practice test available for more clarity.
- Develop your writing skills by practising writing essays.
- Speaking Practice can be done with a friend or anyone. Become comfortable talking about yourself and your experiences.
- Find Duolingo English test Writing sample questions Online and start practising.
- Read up on general topics such as news, current affairs, climate change, economics etc. The more you read, the more you will develop the habit of understanding the context of the sentences and new vocabulary. Make a Duolingo English Test vocabulary list and practice daily.
- Duolingo English test sample questions are available on the website. Make use of it and practice.
- You can watch a video walkthrough uploaded on the website of Duolingo English test. See a short summary of the test experience to get to know the format.
- Not only by reading Duolingo study material, but you can also read some, high-level material like international magazines, newspapers, and practice writing regularly will help you to score well.
- Many online Duolingo English test pdf guide is available for you to get prepared well. Sample questions and answers pdf will help you to get an idea of the official Duolingo exam
Duolingo practice test
Duolingo English test is example of a short yet useful exam for getting admission. When you complete the sample test, it will give you an estimated score range. The Duolingo English test practice is free, and you can take it as many times as you want. You can practice here and get an estimated score: Duolingo practice test
Duolingo Practice test vs Real test
With the help of the sample test, you will get an idea of the types of questions you will face in the Duolingo English Test. Remember that the sample test is shorter (only eight minutes), and the score range is unofficial and less accurate than the original Duolingo test. It is advisable for you to take this sample test so that you will know how to deal with the questions on the real test and can do your best.
Duolingo English Test Results
The Duolingo English Test is designed to evaluate your reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills of the English language. Statistical machine learning algorithms are used to score the Test based on your responses. Duolingo exam Validity is two years from the original date. Each candidate's proficiency is reported as a score on a scale from 10 – 160 Marks. Below is the table showing the Duolingo English test scores description to know where you stand in the proficiency of the English language
10 – 55
- You are able to understand very basic English words and phrases.
- You are able to understand straightforward information and express themselves in familiar contexts.
60 – 85
- You are able to understand the main points of concrete speech or writing on routine matters such as work and school.
- You are able to describe experiences, opinions, ambitions, and plans, although with some hesitation.
90 – 115
- You can fulfil most communication goals, even on unfamiliar topics.
- You are able to understand the main ideas of both concrete and abstract writing.
- You are able to interact with proficient speakers fairly easily.
120 – 160
- You are able to understand a variety of demanding written and spoken language including some specialized language use situations.
- You can grasp implicit, figurative, pragmatic, and idiomatic language.
- You are able to use language flexibly and effectively for most social, academic, and professional purposes.
How to send Duolingo scores to institutions?
Once you receive your Duolingo English test certificate, you can send the results with 2 simple steps:
- You should log into your account and click on the “Send Results” option next to your test results
- Then select the universities and colleges you would like to send your results. You can select a number of institutions as you wish to and can add more institutions later as well.
Duolingo English Test Rules
Duolingo English test experience is unique in its way. While taking the Duolingo English Test, you will need to follow the given rules.
- You have to sit alone in a quiet in a well-lit room.
- Ensure your face is visible and not hidden by sunglasses or any other accessories.
- Make sure your ears are visible always and not covered by hair, hat, etc.
- You are not allowed to use any outside materials, including textbooks, mobile devices, or notes.
- You are not allowed to wear headphones or earphones.
- You cannot use any writing utensils or paper.
- You should not communicate with anyone else.
- Do not look anywhere else other than the screen.
- You are not allowed to leave the test window on your web browser for any reason.
Consequences of violating the rules of the Duolingo English Test
If you violate any of the rules of the Duolingo English Test as given above you have to face the consequence as listed below:
- Duolingo has the right to not certify your test results.
- The officials can also invalidate any previously certified Duolingo results, without giving any refund.
- Applicants may also be permanently banned from appearing the Duolingo English Test again.
After the completion of the test, the invigilator will check your test video to ensure that you have followed all the rules. Prepare well and get a good score in Duolingo and get admission into the international institution for higher studies. You can use Duolingo scores for Canada, USA, UK and many other top study abroad destination. Student review matters, so we found that maximum students see the Duolingo English Test format to be more convenient and less stressful.
All the best..!!!