The test day is here. Feeling scared or nervous? Don't worry, we are here to help you with some of the useful and important TOEFL Exam Day Tips which will make you feel confident and you would be able to get through the exam calmly.
Preparations before you leave for the test centre
You need to be at the TOEFL testing centre at least half an hour early before your test time to get yourself settled. Make sure you visit the centre address a day before so you know where to go.
- Take a good breakfast and drink plenty of water.
- Wear comfortable Dress. Most computer test centres are air-conditioned, so wear comfortable and warm clothes. You don’t want cold feet on the test day.
- Don’t bring anything valuable in the test centre. When packing for the test, keep in mind that you are not allowed to bring anything with you into the testing room. No books, calculators, mobile, car keys, food, drinks etc. nothing can be taken into your test room, everything you bring with you must be left in a separate room.
- Relax a little. Spend some time with yourself in the morning. A few minutes of relaxation before the test will help keep your mind calm and prepare you for the exam.
- Before the test, prepare yourself to switch your mind in “English mode.” Have some of your favourite English songs ready to listen to and play them while you are getting ready in the morning. If you can, start speaking and thinking in English before the test to warm-up.
- Arrive at least 30 minutes early with all your prepared documents, drink some water and go to the bathroom. You will be given 10-minutes of a break after completion of the first 2 TOEFL sections.
- Try breathing exercises before the exam, this will help you keep calm and relax.
What to bring
Everything you need for the exam will be provided at the exam centre.
- You just need to carry your registration number or admit card and Identification Document. Since TOEFL is a computer-generated exam, you don’t need to bring paper and a pencil, they are anyway provided at the centre in case you need to make notes.
- You are allowed to bring a water bottle and some snacks for a break. It is advised that the snack you bring has a bit of sugar or glucose in it. It could be a sweet protein bar which will fill your hunger for a longer time.
During the Test
- You will be provided with paper for taking notes and a pencil.
- For the TOEFL Listening and Speaking section, you will have headphones with an attached microphone with which you will be recording your answers.
- If you need any help, you can raise your hand to get attention from the invigilator.
- There will be a 10-minute break halfway through of the exam, after the Reading and Listening sections. That is just enough time to snack a bit and stretch your body.
- In case of an emergency, you can take breaks during the test but the clock will continue ticking.
After the Test
You will not be able to leave the testing room or the test centre without permission between the exam. When you are finished, you can collect your belongings and leave the test room. You can leave before the time limit if you have finished.
- You don’t need to stress for TOEFL as if you have been taught in English since childhood, you shouldn’t have issues performing well.
- Before starting the TOEFL Reading section, take a minute or two to compose yourself.
- Don’t study on test day. It will only stress you out rather than doing any good.
- Attempt a lot of practice tests before appearing for the official test.
- For the Writing section, you get only 20 minutes. They may seem adequate, but they are about enough to proofread your essay only once. So be quick!
- You need to concentrate hard during the TOEFL Speaking and Listening sections. The headphones provided will not be noise-cancelling ones, so you need to listen hard.
- You don’t need to yell into the microphone, your response is best recorded in natural tone and volume.
- Do not hesitate to speak. It is hard, but you have to practice speaking in a continuous flow. If you become blank during speaking, take a pause for a couple of seconds and resume.
What not to do when taking the test
- Don’t talk to other candidates during the test. If you do, you may be out of the exam hall. If someone asks you anything just raise your hand and signal the invigilator. Direct the invigilator to the candidate who has an issue. Also, if another candidate is disturbing you, raise your hand and inform the invigilator. Have a look at these: Common mistakes made by TOEFL test takers.
- Don’t leave the test hall without taking permission. If you are in need of using the washroom, you have to ask an examiner for permission to leave. Don’t forget that you’re losing testing time, and if you take too long, you may be out of time to complete the whole test.
- Don’t take your testing materials at home. No testing materials are allowed to be taken outside of the classroom. Return everything that you were given by the staff of the centre before you leave.
We hope now you are aware of everything about the test day. Give your best and crack the exam well.
All the best..!!