Update date: 7th January 2023
Some of the most popular education destinations for study abroad of all time are Canada, USA, UK, Australia, and of course Europe. In this article, we will discuss a few tips to study abroad in 2023 along with the preparation you should do to move to another country and what are the safety measures you have to follow in order to be healthy.
Tips to study abroad 2023
Step 1: Understand your options
- Research and understand the options available or you to study abroad
- Make use of digital learning platforms. Instead of waiting to get things normal and for universities to resume, it is the best time to utilize digital learning platforms. Many universities abroad have started enrolment for online bachelor’s and master’s degrees due to the virus outbreak. So do proper research online by making use of your valuable time.
- Most international universities have given clear guidelines of admission processes and course commencement information mentioned on their websites. Check all of them and understand which option will be best for you.
- Each country and university have its own COVID 19 page to help you understand how the University plans to get along with the new normal, post-COVID-19 eras, addressing social distancing at residential colleges, campus safety, measures taken, student services and help for international students.
- Universities are organizing many webinars these days to discuss the options for international students and are giving an opportunity to interact with and learn from many academic and management staff which would not have been possible before. So take benefit of these and understand what will be the best option for you.
Step 2: Determine your budget
Studying abroad is exciting, challenging, and life-changing, but not exactly cheap. Of course, some study destinations are more affordable than others, but it’s good to know early on how much you are Budget is.
Tuition fees for Bachelor’s and Master’s programs vary significantly, but you will surely find something that fits your budget. Don’t forget to take into account living costs while calculating study abroad costs. Depending on the city and country where you’ll live, your living costs will also vary.
Step 3: Apply at multiple universities
Even if you have scored excellent results and have an impressive statement of purpose, you shouldn’t apply to only one university. Apply to at least 3 to 4 universities abroad at the same time. You can also apply to many more universities, but keep in mind that in some countries, international students can apply only to a limited number of universities.
The process is easier if you apply to universities that are in the same country. But it is quite common for students to select universities from different countries. Just make sure you read and understand the admission requirements carefully before applying.
Step 4: Financial Considerations
Due to COVID 19 pandemic, many people have been affected financially. The International Student Community contributes a large share of the revenue for Universities, so many universities have kept these considerations in mind. So you should:
- Look for COVID 19 scholarships / financial aid for international students.
- Make individual appeals as these are being considered on a case-to-case basis in many universities.
- Many international universities have waived their application fee and also reduced the tuition fee, do not forget to get the benefits from these offers.
- You can also request to pay the fee in installments allowing you to additionally break down your semester and deposit fee payments.
- And also keep in mind that studying online in the comfort of your home means no additional living expenses and this can contribute majorly to savings in your overall study expenses.
Step-5 Apply for scholarships/loans
This step is directly connected with both, your budget and the university application part. Because in some cases, you may need to apply for a scholarship during your university application. In others, you can apply for financial aid only after your seat is confirmed in the university. There are different types of financial aid programs:
- student loans
- military aid
Some of them need to be paid back such as loans, while others, like scholarships or grants, don’t. You need to meet the application requirements. As there are certain criteria to be fulfilled. Some are awarded based on academic achievement, others based on financial need, others for research purposes, and so on.
Step 6: Visa Applications
Those students who are planning to start their courses abroad in 2023, should apply for their student visas. The countries currently processing student visa applications include Ireland, the UK, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, etc. However, they are not able to work at full capacity due to safety measures and therefore visa applications may take a little longer to process. It is better to start preparing a little early.
Step-7 Choose an accommodation option and make arrangements
It’s important to decide where you will live abroad because it will have a major impact, both on your expenses and on your experience. These are the most popular options:
- Student dormitories
- Renting a private flat
- Living with a local family
No matter which option you choose, prices will vary wildly. Read your contracts carefully before signing, and don’t hesitate to discuss any confusing clauses. Don’t select the first option you find, compare what’s available on the market, and then decide.
Step-8: Decide what you will pack
Going for a long period in a new country, you will need many things to survive there. The things you need will depend on your budget and lifestyle. However, some of the common things you need to pack are:
- ID, passport, birth certificate, and copies
- Laptop, power adapters, and converters
- Clothes, shoes, socks, belt, cap, jacket
- Medicine or prescription drugs.
- Toiletries, makeup, etc
Preparation to move to another country.
There are lots of things you can do to ensure when you move to another country to be as safe as possible. However, the most important thing is to plan things properly. Try to think ahead of your move and make sure you are prepared. Having a plan will assure your move is a smooth and easy experience without many complications, especially important during COVID-19. Here are a few things you can do to make to travel safely:
Be in touch with your movers:
Rules, regulations, and requirements are constantly changing during COVID-19, so keep in touch with your movers to ensure you are on the same page.
Travel less to the stores.:
Try to get everything you want in just one trip to the market or store. By this, you will be able to keep the risk of contracting coronavirus as low as possible. Have all the supplies you need ready and close to hand, such as packing boxes, labels, toilet rolls, and sticking tape, so you don’t need to keep traveling back and forth to the store.
While you are packing for your move take the opportunity to get on top of the cleaning. Clean all your items with disinfectant or sanitizer.
Finish packing 24 hours before your leave:
The coronavirus stays for a long time on the surface. For everyone’s safety, have your boxes packed and leave them untouched for at least 24 hours before you leave.
Moving to another country during the coronavirus is, of course, a big challenge, but it is possible to do it safely if you take the right precautions and plan your journey in advance.