Study in New Zealand without IELTS 2019
Since long mow, the international students aspiring to studying abroad are looking forward to study in New Zealand as a strong option. There are some of the requirements however, that one needs to fulfil in order to get into the universities in New Zealand. As an English speaking country, there are large number of English taught courses in New Zealand for international students. Students, in order to prove their language proficiency, to understand and learn the programs, for English with tests like IELTS and TOEFL.
IELTS and TOEFL are some of the most taken language tests across the globe and they test the candidate’s ability in essential modules of the language like reading, listening, speaking and writing. Some students find scoring in the tests hard despite being fairly efficient in the language. Since the universities abroad set a definitive score for the eligibility, to score good in these tests becomes a necessity. Universities in New Zealand have a solution to that, at least some of them. There are universities that will let you study in New Zealand without IELTS scores, even the courses like PhD without IELTS in New Zealand is possible. Here is how:
Study in New Zealand without IELTS:
- There are some prerequisites for studying in New Zealand without appearing for IELTS, and if a student is exempted from the exam and its scores, he or she is required to fulfil that. Here are some of the conditions, where universities will not ask for the IELTS scores if:
- Student has studied in an English-medium school, from grade 8 to 12. No matter whatever the education board or country is, the requirement is to have education in English Medium from 8 to 12. The condition stands true for all the students looking to get enrolled into undergraduate and postgraduate courses in New Zealand.
- The other requirement for the exemption of the test is to have a five year English-medium education from grade 1 to 5, or three years of English-medium education in higher secondary.
- In any case, if the student is not appearing for the IELTS, New Zealand Immigration will interview the student to gauge the English language proficiency, and students should be prepared for the interview.
- For the students who are not from the English background, it is extremely difficult to find the universities to enroll without IELTS. They are rare, and they conduct interviews to assess the English language proficiency of the students.
List of Universities in New Zealand without IELTS:
Here are some of the universities in New Zealand where a student can apply to study in New Zealand without IELTS. Keep in mind that the universities assess the application individually, and it is very important to check the course and university requirements directly on the university website before applying. One can also get into touch with the admission department of the university to check the requirements.
- University of Auckland
- University of Otago
- University of Canterbury
- Lincoln University
- Unitec Institute of Technology
Documents required to study in New Zealand without IELTS:
Along with the general requirements to study in New Zealand, there are some other documents student will have to present, in case of IELTS exemption. Here are additional documents required to study in New Zealand without IELTS.
Marksheets of the schools, showing student's entire schooling was in English taught school.
If not, marksheets from the Grade 8 to 12, showing that the education in higher secondary was in English.
A Bonafide Certificate confirming that the student has appeared for all the exams conducted by the schools in the above marksheets.
The Immigration officer at the Visa interview might ask you some questions, to assess the English language proficiency. If they are not happy with the efficiency of the candidate to hold a conversation, the student might be asked to reappear for the interview.
About The Author:
Dhruv is fond of words and everything related to them. Writing about different things from around the world gives him immense pleasure, and a very healthy by-product is sharing of the information and helping others in the process.