There are two different intakes in Finland for International Students. Autumn and Spring Intake. Finland intake for international students are described below:
- In Finland, the Autumn term starts in September to the end of December.
- The spring semester starts in January and lasts until the end of May.
Major Intakes in Finland
Details about Study Intakes in Finland
It is Primary Intake. All universities offer all the courses to international students.
It is Secondary Intake. Plenty of courses available for students who missed Autumn intake.
Lets deep dive into the Intakes in Finland
Autumn Intake in Finland
It is the primary intake for the students who want to Study in Finland. Most of the students prefer autumn intake to study in Finland, as it will give them enough time to be conditioned to the studies and the environment.
- Duration: September, October, November, December
- Autumn Intake is also called September Intake.
- This intake is offered by the majority of universities with a large number of seats available in almost all the courses, compared to the spring Intake.
When should I apply for the September intake in Finland?
You can apply for September intake in Finland from August 2023 to October 2023. Do some research on the Intake application deadline of the university you want to study at and make sure to apply at least a month before your deadline. Don’t delay in replying to the emails of the university.
Deadlines for September intake in Finland
Deadlines for September intake in Finland generally come in December to March. However, it differs from university to university.
Spring Intake in Finland
Spring intake can be seen as the continuation of the Autumn intake. You can find plenty of institutes that offer courses in spring intake.
- Duration: February, March, April, May
- Spring intake in Finland is also called February Intake.
When should I Apply for Spring Intake in Finland?
Students can apply for spring intake in January 2022 to March 2022 in Finland. Mostly, the students who could not get admission in Autumn intake can go to Finland in the spring intake. Students will get another chance to complete their studies without waiting for a whole year.
Deadlines for Spring Intake Finland
The application Deadline for this intake usually comes between May and June. However, application deadlines vary from university to university.
Summer Intake in Finland
During the so-called summer Semester which is in the month of June to August, it may be possible for already studying students to complete some specific course modules, but truly speaking, it is “Vacation time” and there is no separate summer term in Finland for degree studies.
6 Steps to Study in September intake in Finland 2023
For either bachelor's studies or a master's in Finland, the first thing you require is an action plan. Here is a September intake in Finland 2023 application timeline to give you an idea about what to do and in which month to do it if you want to study in Finland!!!
Step 1: Start early.!!
- Begin early and by August, shortlist the universities that you want to apply to. Visit university websites and note admission requirements, due dates, etc.
- By September, get familiar with all the bank loan options and scholarships to support your studies in Finland.
- Do need to do some thorough research on the different accommodation options according to your budget.
Step 2: Crack the exams: January 2023 to February 2023
- Prepare for required standardized tests like GMAT, GRE, SAT, TOEFL or IELTS depending upon the course and university.
- Register for GMAT/GRE at least three months before the test date
- Enroll for TOEFL/IELTS no less than a month before the test date.
- Take the required exams after proper planning as you will need some buffer time in case you need to retake the test.
Step 3: Its application time: February 2023 to March 2023
- Shortlist the universities and prepare for your application. Highlight your strength and also present what makes you unique as an applicant.
- Get connected with your professors and direct managers for the required Letter of recommendation.
- You should also start working on your statement of purpose(SOP). Give a month to structure them, so that you can present yourself to the university.
- Get ready at least one month before your application due date and apply before the due date!
Step 4: What next: March 2023 to April 2023
- If you receive emails from the university you have applied to, without any delay reply to them.
- Appear for video interviews as scheduled by the university.
- Once you get admission letters, make your decision as soon as possible. Inform the universities about your final decision.
- You will be required to pay a confirmation deposit which is non-refundable to confirm your seat in the university.
Step 5: Visa and money matters: June 2023 to July 2023
- Search for and begin applying for external scholarships in Finland (if relevant).
- Apply for the education loan, after you get your acceptance letter. (if required)
- Gather all the documents required for your student visa. Check visa prerequisites.
- You need to check and apply online for the Finland study visa for the September intake of 2023
- Apply for a student visa on time. You should keep in mind the time taken for visa processing and plan accordingly.
Step 6: Get ready to fly: July 2023 to August 2023
- Book your airline tickets and get ready to fly.
- Organize International currencies.
- Assemble all the documents and their photocopies, to take along.
- Check out the Pre-departure checklist and make sure to pack everything you will need in Finland.
Universities for September intake Finland
6 Steps to Study in Spring Intake in Finland 2024
If you are planning to study in Finland and wish to go for the Spring 2023 intake, here is the timeline for it. Information about when to apply for Spring 2023 intake in Finland, What is the process from start to end, universities in Finland for Spring 2023 intake, and all about the last dates to apply for Spring 2023 intake in Finland.
Step 1: Start Now!
- Most of the colleges have a first come first serve admission policy for Spring intake in Finland, so you need to start your application process as early as possible. Keep in mind the deadlines of the universities in Finland for the Spring 2024 intake and start your preparations accordingly.
- Before that, select the colleges and universities that you are interested in. Do proper research on the list of colleges in Finland for the Spring 2024 intake and then, see what are courses available in Spring intake 2024, and select the ones that suit your academic and career goals. Each University has its application deadlines, so take note of them and consider it before planning.
Step 2: Take the Required Exams: July 2023 to August 2023
- Start your preparation for standardized exams such as GMAT or GRE, two months before the test. Register and take the required exams as per your university requirements.
- You should take your English language test such as the IELTS/TOEFL exam, depending on the course and university requirements, before applying for the institutes.
- Keep in mind that it will take some time for the results of the test to be declared. Also, keep one buffer month in case you are required to retake the exam because of any undesired result.
Step 3: Start Applying to Colleges: August 2023 to October 2023
- Look for Spring 2022 intake colleges in Finland, and shortlist the colleges and Universities before the due dates for the respective institutes. Start applying for colleges. The documentation processes for application should start at least a month before the due date.
- Connect with your Managers and professors to get the Letter of recommendation.
- Write a good Statement of Purpose(SOP). It must highlight your strengths and present you as a unique applicant.
- Most of the spring intake colleges in Finland 2024 will have their deadline set in for July. Some deadlines might be as late as mid-September, but keep yourself updated with the deadlines for Spring 2024 from the university website.
Step 4: Acceptance Letters and Interviews: October 2023 to December 2023
- If you are shortlisted by the Colleges in Finland, they will email you. Do not be late in replying to them. Appear for your personal or video interviews as scheduled by the university.
- If you get a positive response from the university, take a quick decision. Reply to them as quickly as possible. Some of the institutions follow a first come first serve policy. Do not wait for the application deadlines to reply.
- You will be required to pay a non-refundable confirmation deposit to confirm your seat in the college.
Step 5: Apply for Visa and Education Loan: October 2023 to December 2023
- As soon as you get the admission letter, apply for an education loan if required, without any delay. Loan processes take some time, and the candidate should always consider it while planning to apply.
- Assemble all the documents required for your student visa application. Apply for the student visa for Finland on time as the processing for a visa will also take some time.
- If required, apply for an external scholarship as well, as soon as you get the admission letter from your college or university.
Step 6: Tickets and Departure: December 2023 to January 2024
- You are almost ready to fly! Book your airline tickets.
- Most of the classes in Finland will start in early February, so it is advisable to reach there by January and look for accommodations on or off campus.
- Before flying, collect all your essential documents and their photocopies.
- Get the required international currencies before departure, and make sure you have marked every checkbox in your pre-departure checklist. Get ready to study in Finland intake 2024.
List of colleges in Finland for spring 2023 intake
There are only a few universities that offer spring intake in Finland such as the University of Vaasa, University of the Arts Helsinki. You could find some courses though in other universities for the spring intake.
Which intake to opt for?
You might be quite confused to decide the intake that will suit you better. We are here to help you choose the intakes. You should consider the following factors while choosing the intake:
- Availability of your preferred course.
- Acceptance rates.
- Your academic records.
- Standardized test scores.
- Job opportunities available.
- Your readiness to join the university.
However, most of the overseas students prefer to go for the September intake in Finland. January intake is also good for many programs. If you do not have your documents ready until the application date, it is better to skip the current intake and apply for the next intake in the country.