The GRE exam is knocking at your door! Are you fully prepared to attempt it? Are you ready to apply all your well-planned strategies on the GRE day? Are you feeling nervous or underconfident whether your preparation for the GRE will give you good results or not?
If you have registered for the GRE exam and want to score high in it, here are some quick tips that will help you work efficiently. We will tell you about the do’s and don’ts you should follow before your life-changing GRE exam.
The do’s before and on the GRE test day
- Do read as many articles of the newspaper as you can because this will not only improve your speed but also expose you to a broad range of topics which will help you in attempting the GRE well, especially the essay part. Here we have brought something important regarding this: How to improve GRE vocabulary?
- You should make a proper study routine strategy along with the time table and follow it till the GRE day arrives because this will help you to be focused on the studies till your test day.
- Do try to have a proper sleep so that you will be fresh and can concentrate on your studies very well.
- Do stay optimistic. Stay calm and work speedily by following a proper method, without rushing or jumping directly into conclusions.
- Do proper planning for time management. Prepare yourself with the timing of the exam, understand the time management strategies well, so that you will be able to finish the exam within the given time. This will be a useful guide for you: Time management of 3 Hours 45 Minutes in the GRE
- In the analytical writing section, present both sides of the argument with examples but keep your focus on the main argument.
- If you are not able to answer the question, use the elimination process and alienate the choice which you think can’t be correct. This will increase you chances of choosing the correct answer.
- Do practice as many sample papers as you can with the help of many GRE Preparation Material online to get a proper idea of a variety of questions which can be asked in the official GRE.
The don’ts before and on the GRE test day
- Don’t get into the answering mode as soon as you start the exam. Many GRE candidates start writing before organizing their thoughts. It would be a good strategy that you spend a few minutes, in the beginning, to understand exactly what the question is asking, forming an opinion and then formalising your writing.
- Do not take the calculator to the exam centre. You will be facilitated with the on-screen calculator for the calculations in the quantitative section of GRE.
- Do not spend much time on questions that are long or too hard for you to solve, make them mark and review later after completing other questions.
- Do not just overcrowd the words and their meanings in your mind. Learn to use them soundly in sentences so that they are rooted well in your memory.
- Do not make silly mistakes because of your carelessness. Avoid making minor mistakes by using the given scratch paper and pen for solving the problems and check twice to eliminate silly mistakes. These are the common mistakes which should be avoided: 6 Common mistakes made by GRE test takers
- Don’t forget to bring an acceptable photo Identification Document, since you will need it at the test centre. If there is no ID, then there will be no test.
- Don’t hesitate to ask for more scratch paper during the test, if you need. To request more paper during the test, simply raise your hand, and the invigilator will collect your previous scratch paper and give you a fresh one.
We hope this helps you out. Do remember all the points of DO’S and DON’TS in your and crack the GRE exam well so that you can get admission in the international institutions easily.
All the best!!!!