Spain is one of the most well-known countries of the European Union which offers international students a wide variety of academic and national environments. The education system in Spain provides varieties of undergraduate and postgraduate courses. While the majority of courses are taught in Spanish, there are also a number of courses that are taught in English. Some universities also allow you to study in Spain without IELTS for English-taught programs.
Spain has developed a country with a diverse, multicultural student population which has made the education system of Spain one of the most attractive in Europe. An international student has the opportunity to pursue a degree in either Spanish or English language.
Study in Spain Requirements
To study in Spain international students have to meet certain criteria and submit the following documents:
- Application Form for Admission to Studies.
- To study in Spain masters, a valid Bachelors's degree from a government-recognized university in the home country.
- Official records of your qualifications, certificates confirming any university entrance exams passed.
- To prove your English Language proficiency, many universities demand TOEFL/IELTS scores.
- Letter of Motivation /Statement of Purpose: SOP should describe clearly your motivation behind the admission to that particular university.
- Usually, the student would require a letter of recommendation to apply to the university. LOR must be from your school/college teachers or from your employer.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Copy of your passport
- Passport photo
Study in Spain without IELTS
To study in Spain without IELTS you have to fulfill any one of the following ways. Here are some of the most popular options for you to pursue your education in Spain without IELTS.
1. You are a native speaker
All around the world, there are 450 million people speaking Spanish as their mother tongue. You can also find the Hispanic community in the USA as well. If you are a native speaker of Spanish or English, you can move to Spain without appearing for IELTS.
2. Show proof of proficiency in Spanish
If you speak Spanish, you can take the internationally-recognized DELE exam to get admission in the universities in Spain. For the undergraduate degree, you will require a DELE B2 certificate and for a postgraduate program, you will require a DELE C1 certificate.
3. Take a preparatory course in Spanish
You can get yourself enrolled in a preparatory course in the Spanish language, so as to increase your proficiency to the level required by the institution that you wish to apply to. The University of Nebrija in Spain is one of the universities which offer such preparatory courses. Without any doubt, this is one of the finest ways to study in Spain without IELTS.
4. Diploma from a Spanish Language School
If you hold a secondary education diploma from a specialized Spanish language school, you do not need to present any further evidence of language proficiency in order to get admission to an undergraduate program in Spain. There are such specialized language schools all over the world, so this option is quite feasible.
5. Produce some other internationally recognized certificate of proficiency in English
If you want to get admission in an undergraduate program that is taught in the English language at a university in Spain, you can produce another substitute of IELTS to prove your English proficiency. TOEFL is the most popular alternative to IELTS, as well as Cambridge University’s CAE and CPE.
Universities in Spain without IELTS
The universities listed below do not specifically require IELTS scores as proof of competency in the English language, as per the information on their official websites.
1. Universidad Antonio de Nebrija
This small university in Seville, Andalusia, has been one of the most attractive schools for international students because of its specialized Spanish language training centre. Some of the most popular programs taught in English are
- Integrated Program: Communication Sciences
- Integrated Program: Arts and Letters
- Integrated Program Polytechnic School
The required level of proficiency in the English language is just B2 and there is no specific requirement about IELTS.
2. Pablo de Olavide University
Pablo de Olavide University is mainly popular for its wide range of programs in the Spanish language. Some of these include postgraduate programs such as the Hispanic Studies Program, and the Spanish Language and Culture Program. There are also several varieties of preparatory courses in Spanish, along with the international certificates of TEFL and TESOL.
3. University of Valencia
The University of Valencia is the Spanish university with the highest number of international admissions according to the latest statistics. Most of the international students come to the university under the Erasmus Program. Most importantly, there are no specific requirements for any language certificates for international students. However, it is advisable to have basic knowledge of the Spanish language.
4. The University of Salamanca.
This is the 3rd oldest university in Europe, situated in one of the most beautiful cities of Spain, Salamanca. The most popular undergraduate programs for international students are in Health and Medicine, and in Spanish Language and Culture. Their Business Program is also a popular choice. There is no information about any specific language competency requirements for international students.
Top Universities in Spain
Here we have mentioned the Spain university list which is top ranking in the world according to the QS world university rankings:
- Universitat de Barcelona
- Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
- Complutense University of Madrid
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- University of Navarra
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra
- Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M)
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya · BarcelonaTech (UPC)
- Universitat Politècnica de València
- IE University
So, now you know how to study in Spain without IELTS. Make sure to inquire about the particular university whether it accepts admission without IELTS for international students and pursue your higher education in one of the best places in the world.
Checklist Before going to Study in Spain
Most Employable Courses in Spain for International Students
How to Apply to University in Spain?