After you are accepted at a Chinese university, there is one more step you need to take to enter China. You have to apply for a student visa for China to get entry permission. For helping you with this, here we have presented complete information from start to end.
Here are the Highlights of the content
- Types of student visa for China
- How to get a Chinese student visa
- Where to apply for a student visa for China?
- When should I apply for the Chinese student visa?
- Requirements for the visa application in China
- China Visa Processing Time
- What to do if my student visa application for china gets rejection?
- Is it legal to work on a student visa in china?
- Residence permit in China
Types of student visa for China
There are 2 types of student visas for China. It is subdivided into X1 and X2.
- X1 is issued to those international students who plan to study in China for more than 6 months. It is usually issued for multiple entries. This visa is valid for a maximum of 5 years. Holder of X1 visa must register at the local public security bureau within 30 days of arrival in China. Here they will be issued China Residence Permit to replace the X1 visa.
- X2 is issued to those international students who plan to study in china only for less than 6 months. It is usually issued for one entry with a validity of up to 6 months.
How to get a Chinese student visa
The process of obtaining a student visa for China is easy if you follow the right steps. Here is the process you need to complete:
- Firstly, you need to secure admission to a Chinese university.
- You have to collect your admission letter. Make sure you have also received JW201 and JW202
- Collect all the documents required for China visa.
- Submit the application with complete information and paperwork.
- The visa processing takes time. You have to wait for the decision.
- If your application is approved you will get a student visa for getting entry permission in China.
- Within the 30 days of arrival in China, you will have to visit a local public security bureau(PSB) Exit and Entry Administration office for submitting the application for the Chinese residence permit
Where to apply for a student visa for China?
- International Students can apply through the Chinese VISA Application Service Centre(CVASC). If there is no CVASC in your country, you can also choose to apply to the nearest Chinese consulate or embassy. If you apply through CVASC, you may be required to make an online appointment.
- Submit the application in hand or you can take the help of a travel agency or a visa agency. They will act on your behalf if you can't come personally. Online applications are not accepted, thus will be refused by most Chinese embassies.
When should I apply for the Chinese student visa?
Application for the student visa for China should be done one month in advance. In the express service, the application is processed in 3 days, and in the regular service, 4 days are required. Postal applications need 10 working days for processing only if all the documentation is in good order.
Requirements for the visa application in China
Requirements for the documents for getting a student visa for China will depend on your country of origin. To obtain approval for the student visa you must be admitted to any of the universities in China. When you submit your application form, you must also submit some of the supporting documents. Here are the Chinese study visa requirements for international students.
- Original passport which must be valid for at least 6 months after your expected date of departure from China
- Completed application form
- One passport-type photograph
- Original and a copy of enrollment letter from the university
- Proof of paid visa application fee
- Evidence of accommodation arrangements
- A valid physical examination record
China Visa Processing Time
The regular processing time for student visa application is 4 working days. If you want your visa application to be processed fastly, you can go through the express service and rush service.
- Express Service: It takes 2 to 3 working days for visa application processing. It will be charged an extra $20
- Rush Service: It takes 1 working day for visa application processing. It will be charged an extra $ 30.
What to do if my student visa application for china gets rejection?
Sometimes your Chinese student visa application may not be approved. There may be many reasons for the refusal. Some of the common reasons are:
- Mistakes in the China visa application form
- Missing documents
- The applicant has a criminal record
- The applicant has some kind of contagious disease
If permitted, you can appeal the rejection and submit more details to update your application. Consular officers have the right to decide whether to review the application based on particular cases. If you get the chance, you can reapply for a China visa.
Is it legal to work on a student visa in china?
Yes, international students can take part-time jobs with a student visa while studying in China. But there is a condition that They have to engage in paid internships only on campus. You have to obtain permission from both your university and the Chinese immigration authorities. You need to follow the 2 steps as mentioned below:
- You should get a consent letter from your university or hiring company (for internships)
- You will need to visit the police station to get a mark for your visa which will give you the right to work part-time work.
Residence permit in China
Student visas in China are valid only for 30 days, but you can stay in the country for the entire duration of your visa. However, Within 30 days, you should apply for a residence permit. It is a replacement for your study visa. It should be applied at a local Public Security Bureau (PSB) Exit and Entry Administration office. The residence permit will be granted for the entire duration you were permitted with the visa.