Updated Date: 23rd January 2023
Studying in Germany guarantees you high-quality education. Students from all over the world come to Germany to pursue their college degrees. If you also want to study in Germany, you need to know the application procedures to apply for study courses. In this article, we will present you with the complete list of requirements to Study in Germany as an International Student.
Documents required for the admission application process
If you are planning to get admission at any one of the universities in Germany, you would need to meet certain requirements. You have to submit some of the supporting documents along with the filled application form. Universities ask for documents depending on your study degree level and course of study. However, to study in Germany, you will need the following documents:
- Copy of passport - Mainly first and the last page of Passport- verifying your complete surname, first name, date of birth, address, and expiration date.
- Updated Resume/CV - A Resume is a document that includes individual details such as educational background and skill sets. Additionally, it contains your personal details, contact details, education, and work experience details. This is a vital document while screening applicants when seeking admission.
- Academic documents - You will also have to supply documents providing that you possess the right academic credentials. This will entail scanning accurate copies of certificates or photocopying them using a high-quality device.
- 10th Grade Transcripts & Certificate.
- 12th Grade Transcripts & Certificate.
- Bachelor’s Transcripts & Degree (for Masters/PG Programs Only).
- Master’s Transcripts & Degree (if available).
- Diploma Transcripts & Certificate (if available).
- Other Diplomas/Certificates (if available).
- Language proficiency - You need to prove efficiency in the German or English language based on your language of instruction in your chosen university.
- Letter of recommendation - A Recommendation letter can be requested from your professors or managers. The writer assesses qualities, Characteristics, and capabilities of the student being recommended in terms of that individual’s ability to perform a particular task or function and writes the letter of recommendation.
- Statement of Purpose - While joining the University you need to tell admission officers why you have specially chosen that university and course through the Statement of Purpose. The Statement of Purposes is a brief and focused essay on your career and research goals and accomplishments so far to achieve them.
- Passport size Photograph - You need to concentrate on these photos. You need to get the correct sized and recent photographs to apply.
- Duly filled application form - Forms vary, but will always require personal information such as Student’s name, address, and age. There will be questions about your qualifications and academic history, and also you may need to explain your motivation to study.
- Work experience: For some Study Programs like MBA students will need to submit their work experience details also along with the other documents. The vital documents in proof of work experience can be
- Latest Joining Letter.
- Latest Salary Slip.
- Employment Certificates from all Previous Employers.
Language requirements for Universities in Germany
To study in Germany, you need to prove your proficiency in English or German. This proof needs to be delivered through an official language certificate. You are exempted from this if you are a native speaker or have graduated from an English or German-taught program.
The following four German language tests and certificates are recognized by German universities:
- DSH- German Language University Entrance Examination for International Applicants.
- TestDaF - Test of German as a Foreign Language.
- GDS - Goethe Institute German Language Diploma.
- DSD - German Language Diploma of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs, Level II
The following 3 English language tests are accepted by the universities in Germany:
- IELTS - International English Language Testing System
- TOEFL - Test of English as Foreign Language
- PTE - Pearson Test of English
Student visa Requirements to Study in Germany for International Students
Once you get their Offer letter from the University of Germany, you can start the Visa Process. It is advisable to start the Visa process as soon as possible so that you can reach Germany on time before their classes begin. The decision about visa application is based on the information and the supporting documents students provide. Here is a document required to apply for a student visa in Germany:
- Two duly completed national visa application forms.
- Valid national passport.
- Two recently taken biometric portrait photographs.
- Proof of admission at a German education institution. The student should send their letter of admission
- Proof of payment of study fees, if applicable
- Proof of German language proficiency. (For German and mixed-language study programs).
- Proof of English language proficiency. (For English and mixed-language study programs).
- Authenticated certificates of earlier education.
- Curriculum vitae which must include your qualification and work experience.
- A Cover letter explaining the exact purpose and duration of stay in Germany.
- You must show you have enough money to cover living, accommodation, and study costs.
- Student health insurance -Travel health insurance covering the period from your departure to the date of enrolment at the university (mentioned in the letter of admission)
- Motivational letter - You will have to express the reason for choosing the specific university, study program. You should also mention your studies and plans and how these studies will be improving your careers and life.
- Proof of having paid the student visa application fee. The fee is 60 EUR.
Financial requirements proof for Germany student visa
Means of subsistence “Finanzieruungsnachweis”. The evidence the student provides must show they have enough money to cover living, accommodation, and study costs. You can send any of the following.
- Blocked bank account- This is one of the easiest ways to prove your financial capability by opening a German Blocked Account.
- Letter of commitment by a resident “Verpflichtungserklärung“ - A person living in Germany, showing they will be covering his/her accommodation and/or other living costs while students will be here.
- Letter of a declaration by a parent - It has to show their commitment to support their child financially during their stay in Germany. It must be proved through their bank statements of the last 6 months.
- Scholarship awarding certificate - It must show you as a scholarship holder and the amount of financial coverage granted to you.
We hope this article was helpful for you. For any additional details, you can visit the website of the German university. There you will find the exact checklist of documents required for your selected course and visa documents list. You can contact us for any queries. Feel free to reach us.!!
You should not miss the following articles
7 Amazing Places to Visit When You are Studying in Germany
Checklist Before going to Study in Germany
How To Find The Right Universities In Germany For Engineering