Despite the pandemic, France continues to welcome international students and researchers from all over the world safely. This proves the dedication of France towards its goal of increasing international students' admission in the French universities.


From the 31st of January 2021, France applied new processes for travellers to enter the country. Depending on the country you are coming from, the process to follow to enter French territory differs. There is now essentially a two-speed system in place - for those travelling from within the EU and those entering from outside the EU region.

International students coming from Non-European country to France 

All international students and researchers coming to France from outside the European country (including the UK) must provide a compelling reason. At boarding, they must present: 

  • A negative Covid-19 test. This must be taken less than 3 days(72 hours) of travel.  PCR nasal swab test is accepted. For students who come from a country where it is impossible to take an "RT-PCR COVID" virological test, a negative antigenic test should be taken. They should apply to the French Embassy for a waiver of the test based on a compelling reason.
  • A sworn declaration stating that 
  1. You do not have any symptoms of Covid-19.
  2. You have not met anyone who is suffering from Corona in the last 14 days. 
  3. Also certifies that you will undertake the isolation for 7 days after arrival and to take a virological test "RT-PCR COVID" at the end of the isolation period.
  • An exempted international travel certificate. This form is available  HERE. You need to fill the details as asked and then tick your reason for travel from the list given.
  • Other supporting documents for travelling to France.

The list of reasons is mentioned on the travel certificate are:

  • International Students coming to Study in France for the second academic semester as part of a program in a higher education institution 
  • International Researchers migrating to France for undertaking their research activities which require their physical presence.

You will need to have these documents ready before departing as it will be asked before boarding. The certificate of travel and travel from outside Europe and the certificate of honour are available on the website of the Ministry of the Interior in French as well as English.


International students coming from European country to France 

For the International students and researchers coming to France from the European Union (EU) Member States, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, the Vatican and Switzerland things are a lot easier. They must only provide:

  • A negative RT-PCR test, within the last 3 days of travel.
  • A sworn declaration certificate. It declares that you don’t have any show signs of Covid-19 and have not met anyone suffering from Covid-19 in the last 14 days and also accepts to take the test at arrival in France.

International students and researchers from within the EU can enter France for any reason and there is no need to provide proof of the reason for your trip. Although leaders of France have asked people not to travel for non-essential reasons as much as possible.

Arrival in France

All arrivals except hauliers then need to self-isolate for seven days and then take a second test. Once you enter in France, you will have to: 

  • Follow the rule when asked for a 7-day isolation period, by staying at home and limiting outings to essential needs.
  • Follow the curfew applied by the French government from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am.
  • Compulsorily wear a mask while outdoors 
  • Follow the official information from the French government
  • Contact your university for distance learning support for your course.
  • Download the TousAntiCovid government application
  • Contact the doctor immediately in case of any Covid symptoms

Exit from France

Any exit from France to a country outside Europe must be explained with a compelling reason. The list of compelling reasons is mentioned on the certificate of travel from the French territory. This is to be presented at boarding.


Read Also
Study in France for Indian students
France Residence Permit
Study in France in English

About the Author:

Twinkle is an active listener and observer. She has a boundless curiosity to improvise her all-round knowledge. She is always open about her thoughts and her personality is filled with thirst for acquiring knowledge about different fields. Her favourite pastime is to pen down her thoughts and knowledge. Her strength is the simplicity of language yet being artistic.

Categories: France

Tags: Study Abroad

Apply Now!