Latvian universities are an excellent option for students looking for an international education with a unique cultural experience. With quality education, stunning scenery, and a vibrant economy, Latvia is an attractive destination for students wishing to pursue higher education. The universities of Latvia offer a wide range of courses, from undergraduate and postgraduate programs to master's and doctoral degrees. If you are planning to study in Latvia, you must know about the intakes in Latvia.
There are two different intakes in Latvia for International Students. Autumn and Winter. The international students can choose either of the two intake periods. The deadline for the autumn intake at Universities in Latvia might end in July-August. The deadlines for the winter intake at Latvian universities will end in December-January. However, the university's admission deadlines for enrolling in different programs may vary.
6 Steps to Study in September Intake in Latvia 2023
If you plan to study in Latvia for either undergraduate or postgraduate studies, you first require an action plan. Below is an application timeline of what to do and in which month to do it!!!
Step 1 - Start Now..!!
- Begin early and shortlist 4-5 universities you will apply to by August. Visit university websites and check the requirements, application deadlines, etc.
- By September, be all the details about bank loan options and scholarships to support your studies.
- Begin with downloading admissions brochures from the Latvian university websites. Most brochures are out over a year sooner.
- Do some initial research on different accommodation options.
Step 2 - Appear for the exams: January 2023 to February 2023
- Prepare for required international exams such as GMAT, SAT, GRE, TOEFL, or IELTS – depending upon your chosen course and university.
- By June and July or three months before the test date, register for required GMAT or GRE.
- Enrol and start preparing for TOEFL or IELTS a minimum of a month before the exam date.
- Take the required tests around September and plan for buffer time if you need to retake the test.
Step 3 - Apply..!!: February 2023 to March 2023
- Shortlist the universities and prepare for your application. Consider what makes you unique as an applicant and sketch your strengths and self-appraisal.
- Contact your professors and direct managers for 2-3 reference letters at least a month before your application due date.
- Start drafting your SOP and essays. Give a month to structure these documents appropriately.
- Apply before the due date! Latvia's September intake 2023 deadline will be around from February to May.
Step 4 - What next: April 2023 to May 2023
- Don’t delay replying to college emails. Also, there will be quite a few!
- Appear for personal/video interviews. These are planned for around January to March.
- Once you obtain acceptance letters, decide as quickly as possible.
- Depending on the deadline, inform your decision to the university
- You have to submit the deposit fee to finalise your university admission.
Step 5 - Visa and money matters: June 2023 to July 2023
- Research online and apply for external grants and scholarships (if required).
- If required, apply for the education loan as soon as you get your acceptance letter.
- Assemble the paperwork for your Latvia student visa. Check visa prerequisites.
- Without waiting for a single day apply for a student visa to Latvia. Remember the time taken for visa processing!
Step 6 - Get ready to fly: July 2023 to August 2023
- Book airline tickets.
- Organize an International Debit/Credit card.
- Assemble all the paperwork to take along.
- Check out the Pre-departure checklist!
6 Steps to Study in January Intake in Latvia 2024
Here we have mentioned the step-by-step process for the Latvian universities with the January intake for postgraduate and undergraduate courses.
Step 1 - Start Now: May 2023 - June 2023
- The first step to study in Latvia for January 2024 intake is to choose a course and shortlist the Universities that suit you best.
- The choosing process is different for everyone and will change from individual to individual as per your academics and plans. Do thorough research on the courses you want and the courses and universities you are eligible for.
- The best way to start is to go through the official websites of the Universities in Latvia and see the course details.
- Research the bank loan options and scholarships to finance your studies.
- Do not forget to look for application deadlines for the course you want to apply.
Step 2 - Appear for the Exams: July 2023 to August 2023
- The entrance exams are the most important eligibility requirements for your chosen courses and university.
- There will be general aptitude tests like GRE and GMAT, which will be required to get admission to Latvia universities. Prepare and attempt it.
- The other important tests are English language proficiency tests such as IELTS and TOEFL.
- Remember that these tests will take some preparation time, and the results will also be declared after weeks.
- If the results are unfavourable , you might want to appear for the required exams again. All this time should be considered while preparing to get seat in the January intake in Latvia.
Step 3 - Start Applying to Colleges: August 2023 to September 2023
- It is time for you to start preparing for your application. Keep an eye on the application deadlines. Different universities and courses will have different deadlines.
- A month before the deadline, start the documentation process for all required paperwork.
- Prepare your SOP/Application Essay. You should write a Statement of Purpose/College Essay stating your academic background and reason for choosing the university.
- You should contact your professors or manager and request them to write letters of recommendation for you.
- Apply to the universities in Latvia before the due date. The deadline for Latvian university's January intake 2024 will be from June to October.
Step 4 -Acceptance Letters and Interviews: September 2023 to October 2023
- You will receive a mail from their side. You must revert with a confirmation if you are interested in attending the course.
- If you are willing to attend the course, notify the university with a confirmation email as soon as possible. Do not wait for the deadlines to revert.
- You might also be asked to pay a non-refundable confirmation fee. That, too, has its own deadlines, and you should pay the amount before that.
Step 5 - Apply for Visa / Education Loan: October 2023 to November 2023
- As soon as you receive the acceptance letter from the university, you should start the process of getting a student loan and a Latvia student Visa. You should apply for the Latvia student Visa at least three months before the January intake starts. Both the Visa and Loan process will take time and are essential processes.
- You will be required to show your financial capability during your visa application, and any scholarships or grants should be declared then while applying.
Step 6 - Tickets and Departure: November 2023 to December 2023
- You are just one step away from your study in Latvia journey. Before you book the flights, make sure you have all the documents that will be required.
- The next step is to look for accommodation. Start this process a month before your arrival.
- Arrange an international credit or debit card.
- Make a pre-departure checklist to ensure you do not miss out on anything.
Which Latvia intake to choose?
It can be confusing to choose the Latvia intake that suits you better. To select the Latvia study intakes, consider factors such as
- Availability of your chosen program,
- Your academic records,
- Your Entrance exam scores
- Acceptance rates of the university
- Job opportunities available
- Your readiness to join the university
Most of the international students prefer to take the September intake. However, January intakes are also suitable for some of the courses. If you do not have your exam scores ready, it is good to skip the quickness and apply for the next intake.