There are mainly two intakes in England,
- September or October Intake
- January or February Intake
A few universities in England also offer April or May intake for some specific courses.
It is the main intake in England. It is also known as fall intake in England. Almost all Universities in England offer all the study programs in the September intake for international students. The application deadlines will fall in the month of February and May for the September intake. However, it differs with the course and University you choose. International Students should check the details of the exact deadline from the university’s website.
6 Steps to Study in September Intake in England 2023
If you have plans to go to study in England, the first thing you require is an action plan. We have presented here an application timeline to provide you with an idea of what to do and When to do it!!
Step 1 -Start Now -January 2023
- Begin early and by April, shortlist 8-12 universities that you will apply to. You should visit the websites of the university and note application requirements, due dates etc.
- If required, do some initial research on the education loan options and scholarships to fund your education in England. Also, check out the accommodation options available in England for your stay.
- Start your procedure by downloading brochures of the university from their respective websites.
Step 2 - Crack the exams: March 2023 to April 2023
- Check the required exam scores for admission purposes. Start your preparation for international standardized tests such as GMAT, GRE, SAT, TOEFL or IELTS depending upon the requirements.
- Enrol for the required exams at least two to three months before the test date.
- Take the required tests around September. Additionally, plan for extra time after the results are declared, in case you are required to reappear for the test.
Step 3 - Its application time: April 2023 to May 2023
- Shortlist the universities and prepare for your application. Work hard to make your application stand out of the crowd so that you can easily get an offer letter from the university. Sketch out your strengths and self-appraisal.
- Contact the respective persons for the required recommendation letters. Consider giving them extra time in case they are busy so plan accordingly.
- Start preparing your statement of purpose(SOP) or motivation letter. Make out best to portray yourself as unique in the SOP.
- Take a month of time to arrange these documents properly.
- Apply before the due date! The deadlines for the September intake will be around February to May.
Step 4 - What next: May 2023 to June 2023
- Reply to the emails from the universities quickly, do not delay.
- Appear for the interviews if asked. These may be scheduled around January to March.
- After you receive your admission offer letter, decide as soon as possible to accept it.
- Inform the universities about your acceptance decision before the deadline.
- You should also have to pay a tuition fee to confirm your seat at the university.
Step 5 - Visa and money matters: June 2023 to July 2023
- If you chose to attend classes offline in England in this pandemic situation: You must apply for a student visa to get entry permission. Arrange all the documents required for your application for the England student visa. Remember the time taken for visa processing. Submit your application for a student visa to England in time.
- If required, apply for scholarships and education loans immediately after your admission is confirmed to one of the universities in England.
- If you choose to study online from your home country itself, then you need to get a student Visa.
Step 6 - Prepare to fly for England: July 2023 to August 2023
- Book your airline tickets. Assemble all your required documents to take along.
- Due to safety measures for the Covid situation, You must take a negative Covid test taken within 72 hours of arrival.
- You must quarantine yourself for 10 days on arrival. Depending on the country of origin, this will either take place at a hotel or your place of residence. Even those who get negative results will also need to quarantine.
It is the second intake in England. There are not many study programs offered in the January intake compared to the primary intake. But this intake is an opportunity for the students who could not get admission to the main intake. The deadlines for the university application will come between June and September. This may change from course to course and University to University.
6 Steps to Study in January Intake in England 2023
Here we have presented the step by step process to get into the England universities in the January intake for international students.
Step 1 - Start the process Now: May 2022 - June 2022
- The first step to study in England for January 2023 intake is to choose a course and begin to shortlist the Universities that suits you best.
- Do proper research on the courses you want to do. Check the requirements and eligibility of the courses and universities.
- The best way to start the process is to visit the official websites of the Universities in England and see the course details, have it thoroughly researched before you opt for shortlisting.
- Get some knowledge of education loan options and scholarships to arrange funds for your studies in England.
- Keep an eye on the application deadlines for the course you want to apply for.
Step 2 - Crack the Entrance Exams: July 2022 to August 2022
- The main important requirements for the courses in England universities are entrance exams.
- There will be general aptitude test scores required such as GRE and GMAT which will be required to get admission to England universities. Prepare and attempt it.
- The other important exams to prove your English language skills are IELTS and TOEFL.
- Keep in mind that these tests will take some preparation time, and the results will also be declared after weeks.
- If the results are not preferable, you might need to reappear for the tests. All this time should be considered while preparing a timeline for the January intake in England.
Step 3 - Start submitting the application to universities in England: August 2022 to September 2022
It's time to start filling out your application. Plan the work according to the application deadlines. Different courses and universities will have different application deadlines.
- Start collecting and arranging all the required paperwork at least a month before the deadline
- Prepare your SOP/Application Essay carefully by putting in your best efforts.
- You should also start connecting with the respective persons to write letters of recommendation for you.
- Apply to the universities in England before the due date. The deadline for England university's January intake 2023 will be from June to September
Step 4 -Offer Letters and Interviews: September 2022 to October 2022
- If there is any update in your application with the University, you will receive a mail from their side. You should revert with a confirmation if you are interested in attending the course.
- If you have made up your mind to attend the course, you should inform the university with a confirmation email as quickly as possible.
- You might also be asked to pay a confirmation fee. That too has its deadlines and the amount should be paid before that.
Step 5 - Apply for a Student visa for UK: October 2022 to November 2022
- If you choose to study offline by attending your classes in England: As soon as your admission is confirmed, you should start the process of an England student Visa. You should apply for the UK student Visa at least 3 months before the January intake starts. You will be required to show the monetary funds and necessary documents during the visa process. Hence manage properly on time
- If you wish to, also apply for study abroad scholarships or Education loans.
- If you choose to study online in your home country: You do not need a Student visa.
Step 6 - Covid testing and Departure: November 2022 to December 2022
You are just one step away from your study in England journey.
- Before you book the flights, make sure you have all the documents that will be required. Make a checklist of the thing to take along and make sure you do not miss out on anything.
- You should also present a negative Covid test taken within 72 hours of arrival.
- On arrival, You have to quarantine for 10 days. Depending on the country of origin, this will either take place at a hotel or your place of residence. Even those who are Covid Negative will still need to quarantine.
May intake is not much available in universities in England. Still, you can find a few courses in the May intake. The application process of the May intake is similar to that of the other two intakes in the England universities. The main difference between summer intake with the other intakes is the dates of completing the application process.
Deadlines of England intakes
June and September
February and May
Certain England universities do permit international applications after certain deadlines as well. You will have to contact your chosen university for this, in case you are late.
Which England intake to choose?
You might face confusion in choosing the intake to study in England. To select the England study intakes consider the elements such as
- Availability of your chosen program,
- Your academic records,
- Your Entrance exam scores
- Acceptance rates of the university
- Job opportunities available
- Your readiness to join the university
Most of the international students decide to go for the September intake. However, January and May’s intakes are also good for some of the courses. If you are not ready with your scorecards, it is better to postpone the application for the next intake rather than rushing.
We hope you have received the answer to your question of how many intakes are there in England. What is the application process? How to divide the time and act accordingly. Take the decision and start your process to study in England.