Student visa For Austria

Planning to Study Abroad? Register Now & Get a Call from Us.

Austria is one of the most preferred European countries for international students. The country has a vast and diverse student body. Every year many international students obtain a student visa for Austria to come to this modern country for their higher education. If you are planning to migrate to Austria for further studies, here we present complete information on Student Visa.

Student Visa For Austria

Here are the Highlights of the content.

  1. Types of student visa for Austria
  2. Visa Requirements for Studying in Austria as an EU Citizen
  3. Visa Requirements for Studying in Austria as a non -EU Citizen
  4. How to get a student visa for Austria
  5. When should I start the application process for a residence permit?
  6. Where can I apply for a visa/student residence permit?
  7. What are the requirements for a visa/residence permit?
  8. Financial requirements for an Austrian visa
  9. Austrian Student Visa processing time
  10. What to do if your Austrian visa is rejected
  11. Can I Work in Austria with a Student Visa?

Types of student visa for Austria

Austria offers 2 types of student visa. They are 

  • Visa C —International Students who want to stay in Austria for studies for 90 days which is less than within 6 months should apply for a Visa C.
  • Visa D — International Students who are going to stay in Austria for studies from 91 days up to a maximum of 6 months(180 days) should apply for a Visa D.

Visa Requirements for Studying in Austria as an EU Citizen

Being a member of the European Union(EU), Austria welcomes students from EU countries to come and study without any visa. Those Students who are studying for longer than 3 months will have to get themselves registered with the competent municipal authority in person.

Eu student needs only a valid travel document to enter the country such as an ID card or passport is required. No further documents are required for living in Austria for a maximum of 3 months.

Visa Requirements for Studying in Austria as a non -EU Citizen

Students coming from non-EU countries should obtain a student visa to study in Austria for up to 6 months. “Residence Permit” should also be obtained if the Non-EU students want to pursue their studies in Austria for more than 6 months. Once it is approved, they must also apply for a Visa D to enter the country. They can collect their residence permit in Austria from the relevant authority.

How to get a student visa for Austria

To obtain an Austrian student visa, you must first secure admission to any of the universities in Austria. Here are steps-by step guide to obtain a visa: 

  1. Accept an offer from your university: once your admission is confirmed in the Austrian university, they will issue an offer letter, accept it. This letter of acceptance will be required for applying for a residence permit. 
  2. Apply for an Austrian student residence permit appointment: You will need to submit the documents for the application procedure. The document list is detailed in the latter part of this article.
  3. Wait for a decision: You have to wait for the decision about your residence permit application. It might take time, so it’s worth applying well in advance of when you intend to arrive.
  4. Appointment for visa application: Once your residence permit application gets approval you can move to the next step of applying for visa D. For the application process you will need to provide the documents as asked.
  5. Attend your appointment: Carry all the documents with you as requested, such as the visa application form, ID, passport, health insurance documents etc.
  6. Wait for the decision: The decision about the approval of your visa application will generally be made within 4 weeks. If your application is accepted you will get your visa to travel to Austria.

When should I start the application process for a residence permit for Austria?

You should submit your Austria student residence permit application process at least 3 to 6 months before the planned arrival in Austria. You should know that you have to start assembling your documents as early as possible and start your application. As it will take time for possible required legalization and translation of your documents.

Where can I apply for a student visa or residence permit?

You can apply for the student visa and residence permit at the competent Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate-general). You should apply before travelling to Austria. You will receive your visa before travelling to Austria and a residence permit will be issued on the arrival in Austria

What are the requirements for a visa/residence permit?

For applying for an Austrian student visa or residence permit, you will be required to fill the application form. You have to submit it along with some of the supporting documents. Here are the Austria study visa requirements for Indian students and other international students: 

  • A filled visa application form
  • A filled residence permit application form
  • An admission letter from an Austrian university
  • Latest photographs of your face with a white background
  • A passport that has validity for at least more than 3 months from the date of your departure
  • Proof of enough funds to stay and study in Austria
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of travel insurance 
  • A cover letter. It must include your reason for visiting Austria
  • Police verification certificate.

Austria student visa financial requirements

In the list of Austria student visa requirements, financial proof is also included. You have to prove that who have sufficient funds to finance your stay in Austria: 

  • Students up to 24 years of age have to show proof of at least 515,30 Euros per month.
  • Students, more than 24 years of age, have to show proof of at least 933,06 Euros per month.

These amounts should be proved for a maximum of 1 year(12 months). You can prove it in the following ways:

  • Statement of your savings account or a bank account (the account which can be accessed from Austria)
  • a Declaration letter from the Guarantor living in Austria 
  • proof of purchase of traveller’s cheques for the required amount
  • Document of education loan
  • or a confirmation of receiving a scholarship or grant.

If the accommodation cost in Austria is more than 294,65 euros per month, you will have to prove additional funds.

Austrian Student Visa processing time

To get an interview appointment at an Austrian embassy, you can expect around 6 weeks of waiting time. However, it depends on the demand for appointments. After the interview, it can then take a few more weeks for the visa application process. In short, the whole process of obtaining an Austrian student visa can take  3-5 months.

What to do if your Austrian visa is rejected?

If your Austrian visa application is rejected, you can appeal to the Austrian embassy within 4 weeks. In your letter of appeal, you should state the reason for the rejection of the initial application and also state why this decision was incorrect according to you. It can take further time for you to receive a second decision. Please note that there is no guarantee that your appeal will be approved.

Can International student Work in Austria with a Student Visa?

Yes, International students can work in Austria with a Student Visa.  Rules and requirements differ depending on the nationality of the student.

  • Students coming from the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, and Liechtenstein can work in Austria without getting a work permit. However, the university may prefer to work hours to be limited in favour of studying.
  • International students coming from outside the EU and the above-mentioned countries will have to obtain a work permit along with their residence permit to work in Austria while studying. In most cases, the prospective recruiter will have to apply on their behalf. However, unpaid internships and placements do not require work permits.

International Students can work only up to 20 hours per week on a valid student visa. There is no limit to working hours during the academic break. However, unpaid internships and placements do not count towards the hours worked for students with work permits.

Browse By Countries

Where do you want to study abroad?