Do you plan to study in Austria without learning German? Well, you will be happy to know that there are more than 250 programs available in English at various study levels. Austria has many English-taught undergraduate and postgraduate programs. This article will provide you with complete information on How to Study in Austria in English.
Education in Austria in English
For quite some time now, studying abroad in Austria has been a lucrative option for international students, because of its quality education and affordable tuition fees. Austrian Universities also offer different types of grades to international students such as:
- Bachelor of Engineering
- Bachelor of Education
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Engineering
- Master of Social Work
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Laws
- Master of Science and Master of Art
Requirements to Study in English in Austria
There are some of the general requirements to study in Austria in English for international students. Here are the documents you will require to study in Austrian higher education institutions:
English Language certificate
The first requirement of English universities in Austria will is your English language proficiency, to check whether you can succeed in their courses. Almost all English universities in Austria accept the subsequent official English language proficiency tests:
Equivalent school graduation
Students must have an A-level or high school diploma which must be equivalent to Austrian high school graduation.
- for bachelor studies: Higher secondary school leaving certificate or equivalent
- for master studies: bachelor or equivalent degree
- for doctoral studies: diploma, master or equivalent degree
The other documents required are:
- A valid passport or identification card
- Passport size photographs
- Resume or CV if University asks for one.
- Monetary Fund to prove that you can sustain yourself in Austria
- Statement of Purpose
- Certificates of extracurricular activities
- Letter of recommendations
Cost of studying English programs in Austria
Master courses in Austria most of the time cost less as a Bachelor. In Austria, you can enroll in various higher education institutions, like public or private universities, colleges, and Universities of Applied Sciences. There are plenty of universities that have started conducting classes in the English language for international students. The tuition fee to study in Austria varies with the course and university you choose:
Public universities in Austria
There are 22 public universities in Austria. Their tuition fees:
- For EU or EEA students: free of charge
- For non-EU or EEA students: 1,454 EUR per academic year or 727 EUR per semester.
Top-ranked Austrian public universities:
- University of Vienna
- Vienna University of Technology
- University of Innsbruck
- Medical University of Graz
- Medical University of Innsbruck
Private universities in Austria
A wider range of English programs tends to be provided from private universities with accordingly high tutorial fees. Austria has 13 private higher education institutes. Each of them has its tuition fees.
- They can cost anywhere between 3,000 – 23,000 EUR per year.
- Some Business study courses are costlier, with tuition costs of 35,000 EUR per year or more.
Some of the top-ranked private universities:
- MCI Management Center Innsbruck
- MODUL University Vienna
- Webster Vienna Private University
Universities of Applied Sciences in Austria
Austria has 21 Universities of Applied Sciences, they can set their own fees:
- Most students from the EU or EEA and Switzerland pay tuition fees of 363 EUR per semester.
- Non-EU or EEA students can expect to pay between 727 – 7,500 EUR per semester.
Top-ranked Universities of Applied Sciences:
- Upper Austria University of Applied Sciences
- IMC University of Applied Sciences in Krems
- Salzburg University of Applied Sciences
There are also few Universities like the Vorarlberg University of Applied Sciences and the University of Applied Sciences Burgenland, where courses are free for international students as well. For the exact details, you will have to visit the website of the university you are interested in.
So, now you know how you can study English in Austria. We recommend you to learn German as well side by side with your degree program. It will help you enhance your language skills and make it easy for you to stay in Austria.
You might be interested in the following articles
Study in Italy in English
Study in France in English
Study in Germany in English