Srikant Datar, an Indian has achieved the position as Dean of Harvard Business School in the USA. He is an alumnus of University of Bombay and Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad. He is the second consecutive Indian to achieve this position of the prestigious 112-year-old institution. He will assume charge on 1st January 2021.
Datar will become the 11th dean of Harvard Business School, located in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. The school has been consistently ranked among the top business schools in the world. It offers a full-time MBA program, management-related doctoral programs, and numerous executive education programs for domestic as well as international students.
Words of Srikant Datar after the announcement
"I am equal measures humbled and honoured to take on this role"
He continued saying "Harvard Business School is an institution with a remarkable legacy of impact in research, education, and practice. Yet the events of the past year have hastened our passage to an unforeseen future”.
He also said,” I look forward to working with colleagues and friends of the School including throughout Harvard, in our Boston community, and around the world to realize our mission in what undoubtedly will be an exciting new era."
This proves how dedicated a person he is towards his responsibilities. Not only Indians but the whole world will feel proud of this man.
About The New Dean of Harvard Business School
- Srikant Datar is a popular academician and is currently the senior associate dean for University Affairs and the Arthur Lowes Dickinson Professor of Business Administration
- He received his bachelor’s degree with distinction in the year 1973 from the University of Bombay and went on to obtain his post-graduation diploma in business management from IIM. He then went on to acquire his masters in statistics and economics before pursuing his PhD in business from Stanford University.
- He became an assistant professor at Carnegie Mellon Graduate School of Industrial Administration in 1984.
- From 1989 and 1996, he served on the faculty of Stanford Graduate School of Business rising to become the Littlefield Professor of Accounting and Management
- He also achieved the distinguished Teaching Award of the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
- After joining the faculty in 1996, he has held a series of key positions such as the School's senior associate dean responsible for faculty recruiting, executive education, faculty development, research, and presently for University affairs.
President of Harvard University, Lawrence Bacow said while describing Srikant Datar that he is an innovative educator, a respected scholar, and a deeply experienced academic leader. He is also a leading thinker about the future of business education, and he has recently played a vital role in HBS's creative response to the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
He continued to say that Datar has served with a wide range of leadership roles for over nearly 25 years at HBS, while also shaping novel collaborations with other Harvard Schools.