While identity cards are sufficient for nationals of the European Union including Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland, nationals of other countries must possess a valid passport and a visa to enter France. Students are required to apply for a "long stay" visa to Study in France on which their status is clearly marked. Everyone may apply for a temporary resident permit once they arrive in the country.

Documents required to study in France

Required documents

A person wishing to stay for an extended period in France must have the following documents for facilitating his/her entry into and stay in the country.

Entry for residency

  • Passport - the applicant must possess a passport, valid for at least 3 months beyond the last day of stay. It must contain space for the insertion of a visa and must have 3 photocopies. The applicant must also have 4 copies of the visa application forms filled out in black ink with signatures affixed.
  • 5 photographs of the applicant to be glued to each of the application forms leaving an extra copy for official use.
  • Evidence of guarantees for financial support with 3 photocopies. A mandated amount is not stated but a minimum amount of between €2,000 and €5,000 should be disclosed. A guarantee should be provided by a bank in the form of a formal letter, a valid account statement or evidence of earnings from a current employer.
  • 3 photocopies of medical insurance coverage recognized in France. The only acceptable evidence of cover is a letter from an insurance company stating personal cover for the applicant during the time of stay in France in an amount not less than $37,000. An insurance ID card is not sufficient but the possession of an international or travel insurance is a sure solution for any impasse.
  • 3 photocopies of a police clearance certificate stating that the applicant has no criminal record.
  • An undertaking in a handwritten and signed letter confirming that no paid employment will be engaged in by the applicant during the period of stay in the country.
  • The payment of a visa fee of €99 either in cash or by credit card.

Entry for employment

For people who are non-EU nationals, the right to obtain work in France depends on being granted a resident permit or carte de residence. Students normally qualify for work with a temporary resident's card. All EU nationals married to French nationals who have not applied for French citizenship are subject to this requirement. Once a residence permit has been granted, the right to get paid employment is similar to that of French citizens, though territorial restrictions and the French language may hamper employment prospects.

Study in France Requiremnts:

A "long stay" visa - Foreign students wishing to continue their studies at Universities in France for a period in excess of 6 months are granted a "long stay" visa marked "student". The grant is contingent upon providing proof that the student has enough funds to live on while living in France. The minimum amount is determined by each French Embassy.

The student needs to apply for the long stay visa in his/her country of residence not less than 3 months before departure for France. The student must also pay €99 for cost of the visa. Sometimes it is mandatory for a student to apply for a student visa online. Non-EU students from some countries need to follow the Campus France procedure to study in France. Here are all the details about Campus France: Campus France: What it is and What it Does

For general details, check out student visa in france.

Temporary residence permit

Once the student arrives in France, the visa will facilitate the procuring of a temporary residence permit. The permit is mandatory for people wanting to reside in France for longer than 3 months.

Studies - Evidence of studies must be provided to the authorities in France such as an acceptance to an application for admission to an educational program in the country. The document must show the student's educational level and the intended program of study.

Course fees - For a sponsor in France, proof of sufficient funds shown on 3 pay slips and recent tax assessment will suffice. For an overseas sponsor, evidence showing the successful opening of an account for channeling funds; a signed agreement to meet payment commitments translated into French; a certificate of payment from external scholarship funds or from a EU program are also mandatory.

Read Also:-

Application Process for UG & PG Courses in France

Admission Process : Study in France 2018

Top 6 Cities are Best to Study in France

Benefits of studying abroad

Study MBA in Spain

About the Author:

Dhruv is Content Creator at He is fond of words and everything related to them. Writing about different things from around the world gives him immense pleasure, and a very healthy by-product is sharing the information and helping others in the process.

Categories: Study Abroad

Tags: Study Abroad

Apply Now!