There are 35 countries all around the world which allows the married spouse or sometimes even the unmarried partner to work in their country. The countries such as Canada, the UK, Australia, Denmark, the Netherlands, Finland, and New Zealand allow spouses and partners to work, whereas the countries such as Hong Kong and the USA allow only married spouses to work. Some countries such as Malaysia, Japan and Singapore do not have complete permission to work openly.

International student spouse visa information of the countries

The Dependent Visa is a powerful tool created by countries to help spouses stay with you while you are studying abroad. It allows professionals, students, permanent residents and others to bring their partner along with them to the new country. It is important to check the detailed arrangements, which are derived from the visa of the assigned employee, and any conditions attached to the spouse, partner or other family members for the specific countries. Here will also discuss the student spouse visa work rights.

Details about the specific countries

Can spouse travel with an international student? Work rules for the spouse
Canada Spouse is allowed Spouse can work with the help of open work permit
Australia Spouse is allowed on the  Dependent Visa program Depending upon the degree pursued by the student, their spouse can work
United States of America(USA) Spouse can apply for F-2 or J2 visa to get permission to stay in USA Only J-2 dependents are given work rights in the USA after proper authorization.
United Kingdom(UK) Spouses are allowed to stay in the UK. Spouse can work in the UK if the international student studying there for more than 12 months 
Germany Spouse can come with German Residence Permit Spouse holding German family visa can work there
New Zealand Spouses can come with the  Partner of a Student Work Visa. Work visa enables to work in New Zealand
Finland Spouse can come with the partner on residence permit It also gives rights to the spouse to work in Finland.
Denmark Denmark Student Dependent Visa helps the spouse to travel to Denmark. After the completion of application of a student dependent visa the spouse can work.
France Permit to stay/residence in France allows the spouse to stay in France. With the help of the EU Blue Card, the spouse can work in France.
Spain Spouses can come to Spain if you are staying on a student visa for more than 6 months.  Your spouse can work without applying for a work permit. 
Sweden spouse visa application as dependents are permitted Spouses are also allowed to work in Sweden without much restrictions. 

Here we have explained in detailed about the spouse visa information of some of the popular study abroad destinations

How to Plan for Study Abroad? - Step by Step Guide

1. Spouse visa Canada

Canada allows you to bring your spouse or common-law partner with you to the country. The international student’s spouse or partner can apply to get an open work permit. The holders of this permit have the right to work in Canada and do not require any Labour Market Opinion or job offer. There will be some Canada student dependent visa requirements you need to fulfil to get student spouse visa Canada. The work permit will generally have the same period of validity as the student visa will have. Read also: Student visa for Canada

2. Spouse visa Australia

Australia allows international students to bring their spouse and families to the country under the Dependent Visa program. You can either attach a visa application for them on your original student visa application or else you can submit their visa application later once you have started your study program in Australia so that they can move to the country. Spouses and partners are eligible for Dependent Visa programs. The works rights given to the holder of student spouse visa in Australia will be according to the level of study the international student is studying:

  • If the student is studying an undergraduate degree, the dependent partner can work up to 20 hours per week.
  • If the student is studying a postgraduate degree or a doctorate degree the dependent partner can work without any limitation.

You will have to fulfil some student spouse visa Australia requirement in order to get the approval. To know about student visa check this: Student visa for Australia 

3. Spouse visa United States of America (USA)

An international student can bring their spouse or dependents to the USA at any time. The spouse of the international student can submit an application for their F-2 or J2 visas at the same time when the international student applies for an F-1 or J-1 visa, or they may apply for their F-2 or J-2 visas later. If their visa application gets approval, they may enter the USA when the international student does, or they may enter at a later date.

J-2 dependents are given work rights in the USA after proper authorization. This authorization can be applied after the J-2 holder has entered the nation. Please remember that it can take up to 4 months to get the approval of the employment authorization from USCIS, and till then the holder of J-2 dependent cannot begin their work in the USA. They will be issued an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card, only after that, they can start working. EAD cards have a validity of 12 months and they can be renewed each year. Check this out : Student visa for USA

4. Spouse visa United Kingdom (UK)

UK student spouse visa is also available for the international students who wants to bring their partner along with them to the UK. An international student cannot bring their dependants to the UK unless they are:

  • Sponsored by a higher education institution on a course at or above an NQF level 7 
  • Enrolled in a masters degree program or higher in the UK which should be of  12 or more months
  • A new government-sponsored student following a course which should be of minimum 6 months.

Your spouse can work in the UK if you are enrolled in a program which is of more than 12 months otherwise they have no right to work in that nation. In order to get entry clearance as a spouse, both of you must be 18 years old or more and also there are some UK student spouse visa requirements you need to fulfil.

To know more visit : Student visa for UK

Want to Study in Abroad? Get FREE Counselling From Admission to Visa Process

5. Spouse visa Germany

International students are allowed to bring their family members to live with during their study period by student spouse visa Germany, but both of them should meet certain requirements. German visa for family members of international students is a residence permit for your non-EU/EEA family members to come and stay in Germany, while you are completing a study course on the basis of a German Residence Permit. German family visa Holders can get a paid job in Germany if they have the required age and qualification for the job. Check this out for more information: Student visa for Germany

6. Spouse visa New Zealand

If the international student is studying towards a level 7 or higher qualification on our Long Term Skill Shortage List, or postgraduate qualification in New Zealand, he/she can bring their spouse along with them with the help of a Partner of a Student Work Visa. The holder of student spouse visa in New Zealand is eligible to work in the country. The work visa will have “Open” conditions which mean that the visa holder will be allowed to work for any number of hours in any legal job. Before applying, check the student spouse visa new Zealand requirements. Go through this: Student visa for New Zealand

7. Spouse visa Finland

The spouse of an international student can apply for their residence permit to be able to join the student in Finland while they are studying. Finnish immigration will try to process both the applications together. If the spouse wishes to work in Finland, they need to apply for a residence permit, even if the period of stay is shorter than three months. EEA and Swiss citizens and their spouses do not need any kind of work permit. Read this for more information: Student visa for Finland

8. Spouse visa Denmark

The spouse of an international student can apply for their Denmark Student Dependent Visa who wants to accompany them to the country. Once the application of a student dependent visa is completed, the family member coming in does not require a work permit to live and work in a Danish country. This covers that, hence they are free to live and work in Denmark. 

9. Spouse visa France

A spouse or registered partner of an international student can join the student in France by applying for a permit to stay/residence in France. With the help of EU Blue Card which is a document that permits its holder, a non-EU foreign national, to enter and remain in France under the purpose of engaging in the paid activity and to explore career opportunities available in their field, up to three years, with the opportunity to extend the stay. You will get more information here: Student visa for France

10. Spouse visa Spain

Your spouse can join you in Spain if you are staying on a student visa for more than six months. You will have to show that you can financially support them as well as yourself with your course fees. They need to register at the local Oficina de Extranjeros for their TIE( Spanish Foreigner Identity Card). The temporary residence permit has the validity for the same length of time as the student staying in Spain. Your spouse can work without applying for a work permit. Read also: Student visa for Spain

11. Spouse visa Sweden

As an international student, if you are studying at a university or university college, you can apply for a spouse visa application as dependents along with your student visa application. The residence permit of the dependents would have the same validity of the period as the period of duration of the study program. Spouses are also allowed to work in Sweden without much restrictions. 

Top Ranking Universities in Netherlands

List of countries which allow the spouse of the student to work.

As we have mentioned that there are 35 countries which allow a spouse to work. Here is a list of those countries:

  1. Argentina 
  2. Australia
  3. Austria
  4. Belgium 
  5. Brazil 
  6. Bulgaria
  7. Canada 
  8. Croatia
  9. Cyprus
  10. Czech Republic
  11. Denmark 
  12. Estonia
  13. Finland
  14. France 
  15. Germany
  16. Hong Kong 
  17. Hungary
  18. Ireland (CSEP holder) 
  19. Italy
  20. Latvia
  21. Lithuania
  22. Malta
  23. Netherlands 
  24. New Zealand 
  25. Norway 
  26. Peru
  27. Poland
  28. Portugal 
  29. Slovakia
  30. Slovenia
  31. Spain 
  32. Sweden 
  33. Switzerland
  34. UK 
  35. United States

Now you are aware of the information about the Spouse visa and work rules of the countries. To be on a safer side we suggest you do proper research, ask your Abroad consultant about each detail, and complete the Student spouse visa checklist before leaving your home country.

About the Author:

Twinkle is an active listener and observer. She has a boundless curiosity to improvise her all-round knowledge. She is always open about her thoughts and her personality is filled with thirst for acquiring knowledge about different fields. Her favourite pastime is to pen down her thoughts and knowledge. Her strength is the simplicity of language yet being artistic.

Categories: Study Abroad

Leave a Reply

Request A FREE Call Back

Study in Your Dream Destination