For the first time, France has started an online process for international students to apply for the french resident permit. This means now students will be able to apply for a residence permit from their comfort zone, without going to the local préfecture. They can simply open the portal input information and documents and submit.
French residency permit
Students from non-EU countries who want to study in France need to first apply for a student visa. After successfully obtaining a French long-stay visa they are entitled to enter France and remain there. They have to validate their visa into a French residence permit within your arrival to France, depending on the length of their studies
Online application for French residency Permit
The application for french residency permit was done at the student's local préfecture till now. But now the French Interior Ministry has created an online portal where students can apply for the new residency card or renew cards in France. Advantages of an online portal for applying for a French residency permit.
- International Students can now apply for a residence permit from anywhere.
- With this approach, international students no longer have to make an appointment at the préfecture or travel to ensure that their application is submitted.
- The portal has been described by applicants as user-friendly.
- Many students who don't speak French fluently find it easier to use online services than facing an interview with a French officer.
- At any time between the submission of the application and the issue of the permit, they can check the status of their application on their online account, answer any requests for additional information or documents.
The Interior Ministry recently opened an online portal to allow British people resident in France by December 31st by applying for their post-Brexit residency cards.
Features of the online portal for applying for French residency cards
- There is only a minimum of supporting documents requested. You can also use English.
- There is a flowchart explaining what information and documents are needed for each type of application - on the welcome page click on 'lien tableau' in the third section to access the chart.
- The website will also save your application, so if you get started then realise you are missing an important document, you can save your application for up to 20 days and go back to it later.
- All supporting documents must be scanned and uploaded to the site - there is no facility to send these separately by post.
Process of getting French residency cards
The process of applying for Residency card is now simple. Here are the steps you need to follow :
- Open the portal of carte de séjour application.
- Follow the instruction and fill the details as asked
- Scan the documents and Upload them.
- Within a few minutes of applying, you will receive a confirmation email. Keep that safe and print out.
- Next, you will have to visit your préfecture to provide your fingerprints, show your passport and provide a new passport-sized photo.
- Once you have completed this your card will be sent to you by post.
Documents required for applying for French residency cards online for international students
- A valid passport with the French long-stay visa stamped on it.
- A copy of all the necessary pages of passport, including the pages with stamps.
- Birth Certificate.
- Two photographs according to the ICAO standards.
- Proof of enrollment in an educational institution
- Proof of residence. You can use your electricity bill, rent receipt etc for this.
- Medical Insurance.
The Interior Ministry states that it will begin work by 2022 on other types of residency permit, which will create a total of 870,000 applications per year. France is working hard to promote itself as an attractive destination for international students, and the online portal is part of making the process of moving to study in France simpler and more user-friendly.