Studying in Australia can be a truly exciting experience. Apart from offering high-class education recognized globally, Australia offers a choice of more than 22,000 courses to its students. If you are planning to study in Australia, you must know about the Visa requirements. Here we present everything about Student Visa for Australia.
How to Apply for Student Visa in Australia?
The earlier you start the process, the better it is for you. At the last moment, you can simply focus on your relocation rather than worrying about your visa difficulties. Here are the steps you need to follow for obtaining a student visa in Australia:
1. Apply to the university in Australia and get a CoE
Before you can apply for an Australia student visa you must be enrolled at an Australian school. After you have received an offer letter from the university, accepted the offer in writing, and paid the deposit fee, the institution will send you a Confirmation of Enrolment(CoE). You will need this document to move ahead with your visa application. Here we have mentioned some of the top universities in Australia:
- University of Melbourne
- University of Sydney
- Australian National University
- University of Queensland
- Monash University
- University of New South Wales
- University Adelaide
- University of Western Australia
- University of Technology Sydney
- University of Canberra
2. Create your account with the Australian immigration authorities
You can apply online for Australian visas. Before you start your visa application you have to create an account at the official website. They will ask for your personal details such as name, phone number, and e-mail address. Ensure that you have all the needed documents in digital format and translated to English by a certified translator. To apply for a student visa for Australia you will need the subsequent documents:
- Your CoE(Confirmation of Enrolment)
- OSHC health insurance. See our study abroad insurance FAQ
- A Valid passport
- Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)- You must show the intention to leave Australia once your study program is finished. You have to write a statement to prove this.
You might need to submit the additional documents depending on where you apply and where you will study. Here are some of the common documents you might require are:
- A birth certificate
- Australian Student Visa Financial Requirements- You must provide proof of sufficient financial funds to cover the cost of travel, living, and school expenses in Australia for 12 months.
- Proof that you have enough knowledge to pass your planned studies in Australia, such as IELTS-test results.
- Proof of your work experience(if any)
- Documentation of criminal records(if any).
4. Complete the visa application online
You should apply online for a student visa subclass 500. The application can be made at the earliest 124 days before your course begins, as mentioned on your Confirmation of Enrolment.
5. Pay the visa fee and obtain a TRN
When you complete your application you should pay the visa application fee. This can cost you around 575 AUD. When the application and payment are done you will get a receipt with a TRN-number (Transaction Reference Number). This number will help you to track the status of your student visa application online.
6. Appear for Medical Exam and Visa Interview
You must appear for the Medical exam and Interview as asked in your country by your Consultant. Your responses in the interview will help them to decide whether to issue your Visa or not. So answer them truthfully and carefully. Here are some of the sample questions that are generally asked in these interviews:
- Why do you wish to study in Australia?
- Do you plan to continue to stay in Australia after you complete your course?
- Why have you chosen this particular course?
- Why have you chosen an Australian college/university to pursue your higher education?
- Where did you complete your previous education?
- How will you manage your expenses while studying in Australia?
7. Get your visa decision
The Australian authorities will notify you by email once your visa decision is ready. The visa processing time depends on where you are applying from and how many apply for the Australian visa at that time. Usually, you will get your decision within 3 to 4 weeks once your application is complete.
Student Visa Australia Cost
Student visa Australia fees are around AU$620 in most cases. The cost of a student visa for Australia is subject to slight changes depending on the region you wish to study in. Though there is no student visa Australia Age limit, students under the age of 18 years might have different requirements to fulfill. To know more about the expenses, you should check this out: Cost of studying in Australia
You might be interested in the following articles
Checklist Before going to Study in Australia
Work and Study in Australia
Stay back and Work Permit after Study in Australia