Published date: 18th October 2022
As a student who wants to study in Australia, you may want to know what documents you will require to apply to universities in Australia. To those looking to pursue their higher education at an Australian university, here is a list of documents you will need to have for your application process to be completed.
1. Valid Passport
When you apply to an Australian university, you will need to provide a copy of your passport. If you do not have a passport, you must obtain one before applying to a university. Your passport must be valid for the duration of your studies in Australia.
2. Academic Transcripts
Applicants looking to Study in Australia would be required to provide their Secondary and higher secondary report or certificate along with the Academic Transcripts (mark sheets or report cards) of the final exams. Candidates are ideally required to convert the marks obtained as per Australia's grading system.
3. Entrance exam score
Universities in Australia would also require applicants to appear for an English language proficiency exam. Students would be required to send exams scorecards, they have appeared to the university. Australian universities accept one of the 5 English Language Proficiency Tests, namely
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Occupational English Test (OET)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test
4. Work experience letter
A student applying for postgraduate degrees at universities in Australia may be required to provide work experience certificates or letters mentioning the details of the work: key responsibilities and positions.
When applying to Australian universities, you must submit a CV or resume. This should include your educational qualifications, work experience, and other relevant information. It is vital to ensure that your CV is up-to-date and accurate, as the university's admission officer will use this to assess your application.
6. SOP (Statement of Purpose)
Students looking to study at universities in Australia would also be required to submit a statement of purpose or personal essay. Here is what most universities expect you to mention in your statement of purpose:
- Why do you want to undertake that specific program at their university, and how have you learned about it?
- What interests you about the course content, and what makes it the best study choice?
- What factor convinced you to pick that program (reputation, professors, employment options, etc.)
- How do your previous studies match the course you want to pursue? If they don't fit, you should argue why you want to change subject areas.
- What career are you aiming for after graduation, and how does this degree fit your plan?
International students would also be required to submit a Letter of recommendation (two recommended) from the person who has taught the student or knows them professionally, highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the student and why they would excel in the chosen field, also needs to be provided.
8. Project description or portfolio
A project description or a portfolio is only required for specialized programs, like a Master of Research or a Master of Science degree. Portfolios are required while applying for Master in Arts, Design, and Architecture subject areas. Universities expect this portfolio to reflect your experience and talent in your field of study. They will also look at your work and the type of projects you carried through. A project description is required when applying to a program that will end with a research thesis. This project description should include the following:
- What are you going to research, and why
- What is the current status of research on that topic
- How you are going to conduct your research
- What findings do you expect, and how your research adds to the existent body of knowledge
The specific documents required vary depending on the university and program you are applying to, so be sure to check with the school for their particular requirements. However, most Australian universities will require some or all of the above-mentioned documents.
Eligibility Criteria to Study in Australia
5 Things to Know about Study in Australia for International Students
Most Employable Courses in Australia for International Students