Being the third most popular destination for education in the English speaking world, Australia is proving to be a great choice for many international students because of its cultural diversity, friendly locals and fantastic quality of education. If Australia is an option you are seriously considering and all your applications are done, it’s time to find out what you need to do for your visa.
Australian Student Visa New Rules
Since 2016, there were some changes introduced by the Australian Immigration for an easier framework for students. The subclasses for the visa were reduced to two from the eight for convenience. The two visa subclasses are Subclass 500 (for students) and Subclass 590 (For Student Guardian). The package courses were also introduced, in which students can apply for two or more courses together one after the other, under a single student visa application.
Australia Study Visa
TheAustralian visa application process can seem quite complicated, but Australia has simplified its system in the recent years and students can enter the country by applying and successfully being approved for a Student Visa (Subclass 500). The best part about this is that you can apply for your student visa online.
Requirements for Student Visa in Australia
Don’t worry, the list might look long and confusing, and some of it is time-consuming, but it is fairly simple. Plus, the payoff is a successful application and great education in Australia. For Indian students, here’s the list of what students need to apply for Australian visa:
1. Confirmation of Enrolment- There are limited exceptions, but all students looking to obtain a student visa must have a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from a course that is registered with Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
2. Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)- You must show the intention to leave the country once your course is finished. For this, you may need to write a statement to prove that you comply with the temporary status of your education visa. If you wish to work after graduation, you must apply for a different visa; you can do this while in Australia or out.
3. Band Requirement for Australia Study Visa- You must show you have adequate knowledge of the English language by producing your results for IELTS or TOEFL. Unfortunately, it is not possible to successfully apply for a student visa without proof of proficiency
4. Australian Student Visa Financial Requirements- To be considered for a student visa, you must be able to provide proof of sufficient financial funds to cover the cost of travel, living and school expenses in Australia for 12 months. Students can work while studying to earn extra money. The amount in general is around 18000 AUD for international students.
5. Health Requirements- You will need to have a basic medical exam done and the assessment to be submitted with your application. Additionally, students must register with an OSHC (Overseas Student Health Cover) insurance provider as a part of the visa application process. The OSHC is specially designed for international students to help cover any potential medical visits you might need.
6. Character Requirement- As a part of the visa application process you will be assessed for your character based on answers to questions on the application form. You might also be asked to provide police certificates.
You will need to ensure you have a valid passport and passport sized photos handy should you need to submit any proof of validity.
Student Visa Australia Cost
Australian visas for students come with a cost of AUD 560 (INR 27,610). This cost is subject to slight changes depending on the region you wish to study in. Though there is no student visa Australia Age limit, students under age of 18 years might have different requirements to fulfil.
How to Apply for Student Visa in Australia?
Here is the step by step process to apply for a student visa in Australia:
Apply to a University and get Confirmation of Enrollment.
Register on Department of Home Affairs' Immigration Website.
Prepare the required documents listed above.
Apply for the Visa Online.
Payment of the Visa Fees and Aquiring a Transaction Reference Number (TRN)
Appear for Medical Exam and Visa Interview
Australia Student Visa Processing time
The entire process can take up to 3 to 4 weeks. This processing time can vary based on the nature of your study and the courses you are taking in Australia It is probably a good idea to make sure you gather all the documents you may need ahead of time.
Once you have submitted all the relevant documents and visa forms, your student visa application will be allocated a unique Transaction Reference Number (TRN). You can use this number to track the status of your study visa application online. Don’t worry, once you have finished submitting, if you’ve followed all the steps, you are several steps closer to study in Australia. The sooner you start the process, the better it is for your prospects as at the last moment you can simply focus on your relocation rather than worrying about your visa woes. Studying in Australia can be a truly fulfilling experience. Make the most of it while you can!
Overall website rating is
4.5 out of
Find your dream college from our 5K+ Colleges, 50k+ courses, 100+ Exams, 1500+ Scholarships.