The Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), the administrator of the GMAT, has declared the release of the GMAT Online exam, to help the business school and candidates to complete their applications during the coronavirus pandemic. The GMAT Online exam facility is a remotely and closely monitored way that is developed to support candidates and schools during the disturbances test centre-based delivery during the COVID-19 pandemic. The GMAT Online exam is open to all test takers, its format is planned to support candidates working to meet upcoming business school application deadlines.
Difference between the GMAT Online exam and the test centre GMAT
There is not much difference between appearing for GMAT online exam or appearing in the test centre for GMAT. The main difference is that the former can be given by being at the home while the later includes visiting the test centre. In the test centres, the invigilator monitors you by face to face but in the online exam, the invigilator monitors you through the webcam. You can appear for the test centre GMAT without any equipment but for giving GMAT exam online you must have some necessary equipment like operating system, webcam etc. We have discussed in detail all the equipment requirements in further content. The exam format remains the same for both the mediums while during registration for the test you have to choose the GMAT Online exam option for giving the exam online.
GMAT Online Exam Registration and Fees
You can Register for your GMAT Online Exam with simple steps. The GMAT Online exam offers the convenience of appearing for the test 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Here are the steps to Register for your GMAT Online Exam :
- Create your account from mba.com or if created or Log In to your account.
- Click on the Register button for the GMAT Online exam option and look for available dates and times and finalize your registration.
- All identification documents must have a first and last name that matches the first and last name the candidate used to register for the exam.
- You are required to present an original identification document that is valid and government-issued. It must have the candidate's full name and a recent, recognizable photo.
Acceptable identification documents include:
- A non-expired Passport
- Government-issued national/state/province identity card (including European ID card)
- Government-issued driver’s license
- Registration card (like a permanent resident, green card, visa)
- Military ID card
For more information visit: GMAT Registration
How does the GMAT Online exam work?
We will guide you as to how this GMAT home-based test Experience works. While checking in you have to follow some rules. The following information will help you have a successful and ordered testing experience.
- Applicant must Provide Contact Number on which he can be contacted
This will allow the invigilator to contact the candidate during the test if needed, generally regarding the issues of technical difficulties. If you do not have a phone at this time you will be required to confirm this before initiating the process.
- Present Appropriate Identification
The identification document must be
- Current (not expired)
- Be valid and government-issued
- Be the originally issued ID (no photocopies)
- The details such as name, date of birth, and country of your citizenship mentioned should exactly match the details that you provided during registration for scheduling your exam
- It should have a recently clicked clear photo of yourself and your signature
This helps the candidate to Understand the test rules, regulations and policy violations and the consequences that might result in your score being cancelled. You are also advised to review the GMAT Online Test ‘s Rules & Agreement before you start.
You will have to:
- Provide a photo of yourself and your ID.
- Provide a picture of your clear testing atmosphere/tabletop.
- Provide your acknowledgement digitally stating that you have understood the rules/ regulations and that you agree with them
- Allow live streaming the recording through your webcam during the test period.
GMAT Online Test Taker Rules & Agreement
In this process of test, the candidate must agree, comply and is bound by the rules set forth in the said agreement. Registering and taking the exam means that the candidate has willingly agreed to the regulations of the Test Taker Agreement. Failing to comply with the rules may result in the following:
- The test administrator/proctor may immediately cancel the test session.
- GMAT scores might get cancelled without any sort of refund, and the school receiving scores may be informed of the reason for the cancellation.
- The candidate may get barred from retaking the exam and any other exam offered by GMAC.
- The candidate may get subject to other consequences, as GMAC or Pearson VUE deems appropriate.
While testing the following rules must be followed.
- The items/materials allowed to possess are your personal computer, your Identification card, prescription eyeglasses and comfort items only if they were approved in advance
- During the exam, your cell phone must be kept out of your reach and sight. If required he can access his phone with invigilators permission.
- Inform the invigilator immediately if you have a problem with your computer, software-related or any other issue.
- You can start your test once your check-in process has been completed. The duration of your appointment is approximately three hours.
- You can only leave the testing place / your seat during the optional 5-minute break after the Verbal Reasoning section of the exam.
- You can not copy, record, photograph, stream, take a screenshot, or attempt to duplicate in a manner to the questions or answers that are on your exam.
- No other outsider is allowed to enter in your testing premises, or to pass your testing room, while your exam is in progress.
- Your testing premises are under audio/ video surveillance.
During a Break:
- You must follow the following rules during the recess.
- You can only have water, Food, Comfort items, such as tissues or cough drops.
- You must come back from break on time. If you are late then the time will be deducted from the next module of your exam.
- You may not access any disallowed items such as study materials, watches, or electronics. If you need to check the time while on break, you should check the screen itself.
After the Exam:
You must not Record, Copy or disclose any exam question or answer, in whole or in part, in any form or by any medium(orally, in writing, on any Internet “chat room,” via SMS/text etc)
System Requirements for the GMAT Online Exam
The operating system could be either Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 in both 32-bit and 64-bit computers, Mac OS 10.13 and above. Windows Operating Systems must be with Genuine Windows Validation. All Linux/Unix based Operating Systems & Windows Vista, Windows XP and Windows 7 are strictly prohibited for the examination.
Minimum Resolution should be 1024 x 768 in 16-bit colour. Any Additional or external monitors are not allowed.
The allowed browsers include the latest versions of Microsoft Edge, Safari, Chrome, and Firefox for web registrations or downloading.
A stable internet connection with a minimum speed of up to 1 Mbps down/up is required. a wired network is preferably recommended. Tethering or connected to a mobile hotspot is strictly prohibited.
Webcam/ camera must have a resolution of 640x480 @ 10 fps. Mac users may need to allow OnVUE software in their ‘System Preferences for Security & Privacy for Microphone, Camera, Automation and Monitoring. Webcam could be either internal or externally connected to the system.
the audio and microphone should not be on mute in Windows. Mac users may need to allow OnVUE within their System’s Security & Privacy settings for Microphone and sound management
Internet Cookies must be on enabled status. Any Pop-Up blocking setting(s) or applications must not be enabled.
We recommend testing on a personal computer as the work computers may block or may not allow the OnVUE software to work properly and consistently.
Ensure you are connected to a proper power source before starting your exam to avoid draining your battery during the exam and quitting the exam in between.
- Whiteboard Usage During the Exam
The GMAT Online exam does not permit the use of a whiteboard during the exam that is usually allowed in-person exam at a testing centre. To assist you with the ability to take notes and/or draw shapes, there is an online whiteboard facility. It can be accessed anytime during the exam as required by you. This online whiteboard allows candidates to type text and draw shapes and lines. one can change the size of lines, fill and background colours of shapes, and also change the size and font of the text. you can also Erase or clear to start something new.
Important points regarding the Special Home-based GMAT test
- GMAC makes all decisions regarding eligibility for accommodations on assessments.
- The candidates can email GMAC at firstname.lastname@example.org if there is any query.
- The candidates can cancel or reschedule their test before 24 hours of their scheduled exam time by signing into their mba.com account. The fees for each are $25 USD for Reschedule and $100 USD for Cancellation.
All the best for your exam.!!!
You can check out :
GMAT Exam Pattern