Published date: 05th December 2022
Studying abroad provides a unique opportunity to explore a different culture, make meaningful connections, and gain a global perspective. India offers some of the best government scholarships to help students achieve their educational goals abroad.
These scholarships, funded by the government of India, are designed to provide financial assistance to students who wish to pursue higher education abroad. With a range of competitive scholarships available, students can access funds to cover tuition and living expenses while studying abroad. In this blog post, we will look at 7 Indian government scholarships for study abroad aspirants and also learn how to apply!
- Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships
- Great Wall Program
- The JN Tata Endowment – Higher Education of Indians
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme
- Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship
- The Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust
- National Overseas Scholarship Scheme
For those Indian students who have plans of studying abroad, the government has established various scholarships to facilitate their academic pursuits. If you are keen to explore the available options, we have compiled a list of well-renowned Indian government scholarships for international studies. Take a look!
Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships
Indian students with relevant work experience, strong leadership qualities, and appropriate academic qualifications are eligible to receive Fulbright-Nehru Master's Fellowships. These awards are only given to those who demonstrate an impressive commitment to their goals.
Here are some facts about this government scholarship for students
- The United States-India Educational Foundation provides a merit- and need-based program with a variable amount of funding that can be renewed yearly.
- This scholarship covers expenses associated with accidents and illnesses according to the United States government's regulations and provides a round trip economy class airfare.
- Applicants with a degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree are eligible to apply for this scholarship. This includes completion of a four-year bachelor's program, master's program, or postgraduate diploma.
Great Wall Program
Those interested in pursuing higher education in China should familiarize themselves with The Great Wall Program. This scholarship opportunity offers the chance to study abroad which can be achieved with the right knowledge. It is important to understand the requirements of the government scholarship when considering this option. These include
- This scholarship provides a stipend, medical insurance, housing, and tuition fee coverage.
- This scholarship is open to individuals younger than 45 years of age and has obtained a Bachelor's or Master's degree or equivalent.
- UNESCO has launched a government scholarship initiative to assist scholars and students seeking financial support for engaging in research and study in China.
The JN Tata Endowment – Higher Education of Indians
The JN Tata Endowment Scholarship is a widely-renowned grant program, offering assistance to those pursuing international higher education. This government-funded scholarship is available to eligible students seeking to study abroad.
- The amount of the scholarship may vary from INR 1,00,000 to INR 10,00,000, depending on the student's eligibility criteria.
- Scholars may be eligible for a merit-based scholarship of INR 75,000, awarded following the student's academic achievements at their respective university.
- The scholarship amount must be repaid in 20% equal installments. For residents, repayment can start between the third and seventh year of residency. If income is earned before the third year, repayment of the scholarship is required.
Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme
The Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships provide Indian students with a unique opportunity to pursue higher education in Portugal, France, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the United States. As such, it is one of the most sought-after scholarship programs offered by the Government of India for those wishing to study abroad.
When considering a government scholarship to study abroad, it is important to keep important considerations in mind.
- This scholarship program provides students with a 50% loan and 50% grant combination.
- Preference is given to applicants of Master's degree programs; however, alternative scholarship options may be necessary for those seeking short-term certifications and postgraduate diplomas
- Applicants for this scholarship program must demonstrate a sustained record of academic achievement and excellence. Furthermore, applicants must provide proof of their genuine financial need to be eligible for the scholarship.
Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship
The Fulbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship Program seeks to support research initiatives aimed at mitigating the effects of climate change. By providing educational opportunities for scholars specializing in technical and scientific studies, this Fellowship Program seeks to promote innovative approaches to tackling this global issue.
- This program is designed for Indian scholars who hold a Ph.D. from a reputable Indian institution.
- This government scholarship provides financial assistance to Indian researchers at the beginning of their careers to facilitate the pursuit of climate studies and related teaching and research activities.
The Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust
The Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust Scholarship provides a remarkable chance for Indian women to extend their education by attending a distinguished international university. This initiative highlights the importance of female education and empowerment.
Here are some facts about the Lady Meherbai D Tata Education Trust Scholarship.
- This award applies to Master's degrees in various regions, including Europe, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- A minimum of two years of relevant work experience is required
- to be eligible for this government scholarship, it is essential to provide proof of current financial status.
National Overseas Scholarship Scheme
Provided by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, the National Overseas Scholarship is for students from economically backward classes.
- If you want to enroll in Master's or Ph.D. programs in Germany, the UK or the US, you can apply for this scholarship.
- This program covers a wide range of expenses, such as travel and medical insurance.
- You need to score a minimum of 55% or an equivalent CGPA in your undergraduate program for a Master’s program abroad.
Based on your needs, qualifications, and eligibility, please consider the various scholarships available. For more information on the available scholarships, please refer to the official websites. Additionally, certain educational institutions assist students with government scholarship and visa applications.
By taking advantage of these scholarships, students can save time and money while still achieving their desired academic goals. With the right planning and preparation, students can enjoy the benefits of studying abroad and make the most of their experience. Remember, you are one step closer to realizing your goals once your scholarship is approved.
What are the Reasons Indian Students Choose to Study Abroad?
10 Reasons Why You Should Consider Studying Abroad
10 Documents You Should have Ready When Applying for a Study Abroad