Canada is counted as one of the best study abroad countries by plenty of international students all over the world. Canada is one of the safest countries to stay for foreign students. While talking about affordability, the country also offers scholarships to international students.
Computer Science as a subject ranks among the top 10 subjects to study in Canada after masters, popularly opted by international students. If you are looking further to study in Canada in this subject, here is the complete guide for you.
Why study computer science in Canada?
- Canada has Lower tuition fees and immigration-friendly policies compared to other top study abroad countries attracting international students for pursuing MS in computer science.
- Universities in Canada have high academic standards, and some of them are listed at the top of the list of university rankings.
- There are various types of programs that are offered by Canadian institutions for master's in computer science in Canada for international students.
- Students in Canada are allowed to work for 20 hours a week, which helps them gain work experience in the computer science industry.
- Increasing job opportunities in various profiles of the computer science field makes pursuing MS in computer science in Canada an attractive program.
Top Universities in Canada for masters in computer science
For international students looking to pursue a Masters in Computer Science program, Canada is one of the favorite destinations. 22 Canadian universities are listed among the top 600 universities in the world that offer a reputed degree in Computer Science.
The following table shows the top 10 universities in Canada for ms in computer science, along with their Rankings among the universities in the world.
||QS World University Ranking 2022
|University of Toronto
|University of British Columbia
|University of Waterloo
|University of Montreal
|University of Alberta
|Simon Fraser University
Queen’s University at Kingston
|University of Calgary
|University of Ottawa
Several international students choose the above-mentioned universities which indicate that the universities not only make it to the list of best universities in Canada for ms in computer science but also are popular among international students.
MS courses in Canada for computer science
There are various specializations in Masters in Computer Science offered in Canada. They are:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Science
- Data Analytics
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Cloud Computing
- Software Engineering
- Machine Learning
Types of Masters of Computer Sciences
There are 3 types of Masters of Computer Sciences offered by Canadian universities. You can choose according to your career interests:
- MACS: Master of Applied Computer Sciences. It is a 16-month research-based course which requires a thesis submission at the end of the program.
- M.Eng: Master of Computer Science and Engineering. It is a 16-month professional graduate program.
- MSc: Master of Computer Science. It is a 24 month/2 year course which requires independent research work from the student.
Masters in Computer Science in Canada: Admissions
Admissions in universities for international students generally are done in 3 intakes in Canada, that is, Fall, Winter and Summer. The duration of a full-time Canadian Masters course in computer science varies from 16 months to 2 years.
How to Apply for MS in CS Canada:
The applicants of MS Computer Science can apply through the official website of the chosen university in Canada.
Eligibility for MS in computer science in Canada
The criteria for the eligibility of Canada ms universities for computer science are not very strict. However, the application requirements differ from university to university. To be eligible to pursue an ms in Canada for computer science, international applicants must fulfil the following criteria:
- International students must have 16 years of education. They must prove their education eligibility with the evidence of transcripts.
- A bachelor's degree in computer science or undergraduates of other disciplines related to computer science is also eligible to apply.
- A student must have a GPA of 3.25 or above on a scale of 4.0 points or a CGPA of 7 to 8 on a 10-point scale is necessary. In other words, the percentile should be around 80-85%.
- Students must also have taken GRE. This score should not be older than 2 years.
- Admission eligibility also varies depending upon the institution and your strong programming skills.
MS in Canada universities in computer science requirements
The required documents while applying to the colleges in Canada for masters in computer science are mentioned below.
- Transcripts of high school and college
- Marksheets and degrees
- Statement of Purpose (SOP) that talks about your career goals, areas of interest for research and the skills.
- 2 or 3 Letters of recommendation.
- The Scores of GRE must be officially sent to the university. The average score acceptable for admission is 260.
Proof of English Language Proficiency: These tests are valid for 2 years from the test date. You can choose the test as per the requirement of your institution. Some of the tests acceptable by the Canadian institution are:
||Minimum Required Score
||6.5 - 7.0
iBT: 86, PBT: 575
||61 - 66
||85% or higher
The above-mentioned scores are average scores, you must check the score requirement of the particular universities before applying. Please note that some universities also accept CAE/CPE or CanTest/CAEL tests.
Admission Decisions at Canadian Universities
Admission decisions are generally announced within 40 days of application submission to the universities for admission to masters in CS in Canada. Application evaluations are comprehensive, as there is too much competition.
Universities in Canada for ms in computer science without GRE
A total of 16 universities in Canada offer a masters degree in Computer Science without requiring GRE scores as part of the admission requirements. Following is a list of those universities which do not require the GRE, to grant admissions to international students in computer science master degree in Canada:
MS in computer science in Canada cost
The cost of studying MS in Computer Science in Canada ranges from 50,000 USD to 62,000 USD. For an M.Eng and MSc degree student, the cost of studying in Canada is around 47,780 USD. Students willing to study MACS will have to pay around 61,133 USD because it is a professional course.
For the costs other than tuition fees, read this: Cost of studying in Canada
Masters in Computer Science in Canada with Scholarships
Various university-specific scholarships and externally funded scholarships are offered to international Computer Science postgraduates. Here are the popular university-specific scholarships in Canada for international students.
- University of Calgary
- University of Waterloo
- University of Manitoba
- University of Northern British Columbia
- University of Fraser Valley
Get more information in grants here: Scholarships in Canada
Masters in Computer Science in Canada: Jobs
On completion of MS in Computer Science in Canada, international students generally apply for a PGWP to gain work experience in Canada, rather than leaving for their home country. Popular Jobs in Canada post completion of MS in computer science are given below
- Software Engineer
- Software Developer
- Java Developer
- Network Administrator
- CAD Designer
- IT Manager
- Senior Web Developer
Popular companies like Scotiabank, Amazon Can, CGI, Sterling Turner, etc. recruit postgraduates of Computer Science from various universities in Canada. The starting salary for the graduates of Computer Science is the lowest in Montreal which is around 49,213 USD and the highest in Vancouver around 103,752 USD.
Pursuing a Masters in Computer Science in Canada proves to be a boon for international students. It will bring you better job opportunities, a good in-hand salary. You will get a good research experience with the work experience. Get in touch with Jeduka.com for any queries.