Marco Mendicino, immigration minister of Canada has made two notable revelations about the international student on September 22, 2020. He stated that Canada has already issued 56,000 approvals for study permit applications at the first stage and are planning to physically welcome international students onto their campuses during the coronavirus pandemic.
Latest updates on Student permit Approval
The immigration minister of Canada revealed that 56,000 student permits were approved under the first stage so far. This means that IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) has given its approval for the Study permit after reviewing each student’s acceptance letter from a DLI, evidence of financial stability that they can support themselves during their studies in the country, among other criteria.
Welcome of international students in Canada
- Some Designated Learning Institutions(DLI) have indicated an interest in welcoming international students during the pandemic. However, due to the current travel restrictions in Canada, most of the international students are unable to move to the country.
- Mendicino confirmed that the federal government is continuously working with DLI to identify how they can physically welcome international students with all the safety measures onto their campuses during the coronavirus pandemic.
- This would also include that all students who return will have to quarantine for 14 days.
- They are working to ensure that each DLI has fulfilled the public health requirements of the province and territory they are situated in. This approach will be the first step in ensuring campuses are safe for students to return to this year.
- The discussions between Health Canada, provinces, territories, and DLIs were aimed at figuring out whether DLIs are able to facilitate quarantine and social distancing. This would enable them to welcome international students with all the safety measures in the near future.
- Under Canadian law, all students who return will have to quarantine for 14 days.
- Provinces, as well as territories across Canada, are following strict social distancing measures to decrease the chances of spread of COVID-19.
Two Major Announcement made before for International Students
Before Canada has announced a number of major changes in the rules to help international students to pursue their Canadian studies during this current pandemic.
1. Two-stage student visa process
According to the current senior of COVID pandemic, Canada had announced a two-step student permit process before to give students certainty so they can begin their studies while overseas.
- IRCC approves only those applications for a study permit at the first stage in which a student has been accepted into a DLI.
- Along with your letter of acceptance, proof of funds should be presented that are able to support yourself financially throughout your time in Canada.
As per new rules, to get second stage approval for a study permit, students will have to meet the requirements of criminal background check, medical exam and biometrics. Read full news here: Canada Announced Major Changes to Help International Students
2. Major announcement of PGWP rules
International students studying online in their home country will also be allowed to count their studies towards eligibility for the future Post-Graduation Work Permit. But on a condition that they must complete at least 50% of their total studies in Canada. Know the latest update of PGWP here: Canada Introduces New Measures on PGWP Eligibility for Students Studying Online