Why study American Studies?
- An opportunity to study the United States as a dynamic, large and complicated country that at the same time has a tremendous influence on our world
- A challenging academic specialisation that brings together the study of politics, society, language, culture, literature and history
- Full immersion in English, with a strong focus on language acquisition courses
- An energetic international teaching staff
- The opportunity to study abroad (in the United States) or do an internship
What will you learn?
American Studies is one of the two specialisations in our Bachelor's degree programme in English Language and Culture. This website will tell you all about American Studies. If you are interested in English Language and Culture (with a British focus), please visit our website about this specialisation.
During the Bachelor's programme in American Studies, you will focus on all aspects of US society, culture, and language. You will gain in-depth knowledge about American politics, literature, history, media and arts and learn about the history and structure of English as a language. Of course you will also learn to speak English on a professional level.
Future career opportunities
- International Relations
- Civil Service (government)
- Museum curator
- International educational organisations
- Business & government consultancy
- English teacher
- Publishing & translation