Office Careers Essentials Certificate
- In 2020/2021 we offer this program via Distributed Learning where we use various tools that may include email, web-conferencing platforms, online videos, social media, textbooks, print modules, local contexts and experiential tasks. Learn more about Distributed Learning at CMTN.
For the individual that is starting their career, returning to the workforce after an absence, wanting a career change or needing to refresh their office employment skills, the Office Careers Essentials Program (OFCE) is the place to start. Trained office workers carry out duties to support an office or a business. The 15-week certificate program is designed as a basic office skills refresher or as a conduit to prepare for new employment in an entry-level position.
The program focuses on general office skills including developing spreadsheets, drafting correspondence, and maintaining databases and bookkeeping applications. Graduates of this program will be proficient in computer applications and will demonstrate abilities in critical thinking, personal and interpersonal skills. Participants will also demonstrate self-confidence and professionalism in the workplace.
Upon successful completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Exemplify the essential role that office staff have in any work environment.
- Demonstrate appropriate telephone etiquette through dealing with difficult callers and navigating internal & external directories.
- Apply effective electronic and paper filing and organizational systems.
- Demonstrate how to order, organize and maintain an inventory of office supplies.
- Confidently apply necessary troubleshooting techniques to scanners, printers, copiers, shredders, fax machines, and label makers.
- Confidently handle petty cash.
- Produce electronic and paper calendars to book appointments & scheduling.
- Adopt professional etiquette for an office/business work environment by displaying a positive attitude, actively participating in activities, and respectfully interacting with fellow students, faculty and employers.
Apply to CMTN
Visit Apply to CMTN for an Admissions Checklist and to apply online.
Our Educational Advisors are here to help if you have any questions or need guidance along the way.
Office workers are in high demand in a wide variety of roles and environments. All companies or small businesses need staff that look after the administrative tasks.
This program is for those coming right out of high school that want to improve their computer or bookkeeping skills or individuals looking to return to the workforce after an absence but require updated applied office skills to improve their employment opportunities. For those people that want to change careers, the Office Essential Skills Program could be an attractive option to take to enhance their applied skills.
Entry-level office workers can be responsible for duties such as data entry, record keeping, note-taking, bookkeeping, greeting customers and guests, scheduling of work, appointments, events, responding to phone calls, emails as well as face-to-face customer service. Examples of jobs that graduates of this program may consider working at include:
- Insurance agencies offices
- Medical or dental workplaces
As office workers become more skilled, they become valued and trusted leaders to manage the day-to-day operations of entire offices or teams of people, making sure the company’s daily operations run smoothly.
- Entry-level government, hospital or educational institutions
- Real estate offices
- Retail sales companies
- Any office within a company may be a prospective employer!